Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele

Default Re: Prescription Drugs availability

We're still on 3 months as standard here (Wales) and GP has always doubled up when heading off although that created argument with Boots pharmacy this spring as they said 6 months not allowed. Changed their minds when I said I would just go elsewhere with second script. Can get everything we need over the counter in Portugal and Spain anyway so won't create problems if stopped, cost of tablets less than posting from UK.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    We're still on 3 months as standard here (Wales) and GP has always doubled up when heading off although that created argument with Boots pharmacy this spring as they said 6 months not allowed. Changed their minds when I said I would just go elsewhere with second script. Can get everything we need over the counter in Portugal and Spain anyway so won't create problems if stopped, cost of tablets less than posting from UK.
    We are in Wales too. Our pharmacy is attached to the surgery, which reduces our flexibility somewhat. At one time we could be issued with six months' worth but last year this was reduced to three. GP rang me up to explain! Yesterday we put in a scrip for three months to be told this is now not possible, two months max. However, they may allow three, will find out tomorrow.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    We are in Wales too. Our pharmacy is attached to the surgery, which reduces our flexibility somewhat. At one time we could be issued with six months' worth but last year this was reduced to three. GP rang me up to explain! Yesterday we put in a scrip for three months to be told this is now not possible, two months max. However, they may allow three, will find out tomorrow.
    It gets stranger. Picked up a prescription for 3 months supply of one tablet for wife last Friday from GP, pharmacy next door dispensed without question. Fortunately, our GP turns a blind eye to long absences whereas we've met a couple of folks who've been struck off from practices and hospital clinics.

Bit of thread drift and maybe non PC but... Why is it a UK citizen loses NHS entitlement just because they're out of the country for an extended period but it's given to illegals, visitors and just about anyone that shows up for treatment?

PW

It isn’t given to illegals or visitors. Visitors may come from countries with reciprocal arrangements.

Believe the regs still state up to 3 months supply if you are going on holiday

Quote Originally Posted by bikedaft View Post
    Believe the regs still state up to 3 months supply if you are going on holiday
    https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...er-my-holiday/

https://www.coventrywarksapc.nhs.uk/...f-264a746ca03e

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    Bit of thread drift and maybe non PC but... Why is it a UK citizen loses NHS entitlement just because they're out of the country for an extended period but it's given to illegals, visitors and just about anyone that shows up for treatment?

PW
    Entitlement to free at point of access NHS care is based on 'normal residence' - you CAN be normally resident in the UK but be abroad for more than 3 months. BUT - from a clinical perspective supplying 6 months of a prescription only medicine seems to be asking for trouble. Your GP might not see you, might not check any bloods etc, but the very act of requesting a repeat suggests you are making a conscious decision to say this medicine isn't causing too many issues for you.

You could also be normally resident in Costa Del Spain and pop here for a 'holiday' every 3 months. You then technically aren't eligible for care other than through the E111/EHIC scheme. Although that may be almost impossible for the NHS to detect.

Clinically it may be legitimate to supply 6months because someone is going on holiday. Or it might not. If you are constantly going on holiday - you may be making them suspicious you are not ordinarily resident in the UK.

In England, treoeat prescriptions can all be handled electronically. Request supply via NHS App. Sent electronically to any pharmacy in England of your choice. Can be a mail order one if you want. They would only ship to your address normally. But if someone else can then post to you that is (mostly) fine in the EU. Some medicines are not so fine. Controlled drugs basically - some of which you may not know are controlled.

You could also get a paper prescription from the pharmacy and take it to any pharmacy in Europe and they will dispense it as a private prescription for you and charge you for the medicine. Could be a few pounds to thousands of pounds in some cases. This may change after brexit' as it may not be legal then. Also not likely legal outside EU.

Increasingly pharmacy won't be allowed to repeat request for you. Feeling is that some pharmacies requested everything even if not needed as they got paid to supply it. Feeling it doesn't get patients to take responsibility. The NHS's own App once you get past the initial security setup (justified as it lets you into your medical record) - requesting repeat prescription is easy. Getting it sent electronically - you ask the pharmacy you want it sent to to "nominate" you.

It's clear that there will be supply challenges when Brexit' happens.. supplying 3-6months sounds like stock piling. That risks supply for others. We are apparently all in this together.

Nothing stops you from clicking resupply when you have a month left. So you can have a buffer. Indeed the NHS would recommend you usually do have minimum 2 week buffer.

My point is I am. a UK citizen, albeit expat. I paid taxes, NI, etc. for around 26 years but now if I visit my parents and get ill I have to pay for th NHS treatment Joe Bloggs shows up from whichever country, walks into A&E and gets treatment (rightly so), then disappears either back home or into the vacuum of anonymity of being undocumented.

Is that fair? I don't know....

W.

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    My point is I am. a UK citizen, albeit expat. I paid taxes, NI, etc. for around 26 years but now if I visit my parents and get ill I have to pay for th NHS treatment Joe Bloggs shows up from whichever country, walks into A&E and gets treatment (rightly so), then disappears either back home or into the vacuum of anonymity of being undocumented.

Is that fair? I don't know....

W.
    Emergency NHS treatment for illness is available for anyone, dependent on need. So if you’re in UK for a holiday you’re entitled to treatment for say a broken leg or an infection you pick up. But you’re not entitled to treatment for a long standing condition without payment. Same as anyone who isn’t currently normally resident in the UK. You no longer pay UK tax, so why should you be entitled to NHS treatment?
    Anyhow, this isn’t the sort of topic for this forum. If you want to continue it, I’d suggest you start a new thread in the Lounge, which is where it belongs.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast