Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele

Default Re: Prescription Drugs availability

Quote Originally Posted by jordanbasset View Post
    But even if they know when you return after your summer away you will be counted as residents again
    There is a waiting period to re-establish ordinarily resident. I had to visit the local eye hospital on my return from Portugal earlier this year and the Dr. ran through the usual questions about age, address and "have you been resident in the country for the last 3 months?" When we were discussing a follow up visit, I had to tell him I wouldn't be around for several months so couldn't make an appointment. Nice chap said he wouldn't note that as it could get me kicked out of the system, just to come back and phone them if any more problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    There is a waiting period to re-establish ordinarily resident. I had to visit the local eye hospital on my return from Portugal earlier this year and the Dr. ran through the usual questions about age, address and "have you been resident in the country for the last 3 months?" When we were discussing a follow up visit, I had to tell him I wouldn't be around for several months so couldn't make an appointment. Nice chap said he wouldn't note that as it could get me kicked out of the system, just to come back and phone them if any more problems.
    Does not apply to general practice. Register and be seen. Don't need ID nor address. Makes it ethically easy for us

Quote Originally Posted by bikedaft View Post
    Does not apply to general practice. Register and be seen. Don't need ID nor address. Makes it ethically easy for us
    Don't kid yourself, we know two people who have been refused GP treatment on return to UK, one of them an ex forumite.

There are clear regs. At least in Scotland.

There's an interesting article here, dated today - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...treatment.html

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    There's an interesting article here, dated today - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...treatment.html
    It may be dated today at the top but John Hutton, quoted as Health Minister, was a Labour politician serving in that role between 1999-2005
    If you're not confused, you're probably misinformed

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieW View Post
    It may be dated today at the top but John Hutton, quoted as Health Minister, was a Labour politician serving in that role between 1999-2005
    Quite, as I tried to point out to him on another thread. What is interesting is that nothing seemed to have come of it in the last 14 years anyway

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

The two-month limit seems to have been a scare story. Just picked up three months worth at our pharmacy in Wales.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    The two-month limit seems to have been a scare story. Just picked up three months worth at our pharmacy in Wales.

That is OK then, because it was your comment that prompted me to raise it, when you posted #69 in the toolkit thread
    Had me worried!
    Scaremonger
    OK, I saw #71
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 03-12-19 at 08:01.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quantities issued on a prescription are still largely at the discretion of the prescribing doctor. The accepted norm for most repeat prescriptions is 2 months and has been for some years. Doctors can however, use their discretion to prescribe larger quantities depending on the patient, the medicines in question and the medical condition(s). 3 months will rarely be challenged by a pharmacist but quantities much larger than this might be. Oddly, the oral contraceptive pill is usually given in 6 month volumes. I don't know why.

There is no legislation or directive on this - it is just a guideline and an accepted norm. There may be sound reasons to limit the quantities. Some conditions require monitoring, some medications require monitoring and from time to time a medication has to be withdrawn. A recent example is ranitidine which has been withdrawn for safety reasons.

As for funding issues, the NHS serves those who are ordinarly resident. This is taken to mean here for a settled purpose. It will also serve visitors whose medical condtion is acute and cannot wait until return to their own country. Contrary to what you might read in the tabloids, health tourism is a very very minor issue. I rarely, if ever see people coming over here for the purpose of gaining healthcare, chielfy because the healthcare is actually better in their own country. A major drain on NHS resource is however, residents requiring travel advice and immunisations such as rabies, yellow fever, malaria and hepatitis for leisure travel. Voluntary exposure to the risks of serious communicable disease costs the country hundreds of millions of pounds a year.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast