Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: Forum Member doing the Arc

    I concur, great thread and I look forward to the next installments so thanks for taking the time and effort to post it jrudge. The ARC is on my bucket list.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Live London
    Posts
    3,985

    Default Re: Forum Member doing the Arc

    UPDATE: Thurs 28/11/19 @ 15:00 GMT

    Still no wind and not expected for another 24 hours or so. A short sail yesterday afternoon but winded dropped right off so we had to motor again which pretty much all of the fleet is doing except for the racing division. Had the cruising chute out for a while just to practice – original sail that has had a new life after going to the bottom with the boat. It’s a huge, red thing and given some wind will give us some serious speed. There are other big flappy sails around but I have no idea what they do.

    Current conditions are suiting us really well as it would appear the Barke brothers and co have built a really good motor boat! We are the fastest in the fleet with probably the lowest fuel burn. 18 litres per hour at 9.x kn @ 1350 rpm – amazing! There’s at least another 2kn spare and that will be c. 24 l/h - can’t use WOT as we have a folding prop that can’t handle it.

    We’re eating the miles now until we get to wind and our strategy of heading south vs following the pack is currently paying off. The two other Oyster 825s (iSNL and Albatros) are not far away and currently slower than us. Some boats going into the Verdes for re-fuel as they’ve been motoring so long they won’t have the range.

    Meanwhile, the floating carpentry shop/plumbing continues. Nick continues to fit door frames, various bits of trim, flooring, showers etc. Seeing as we had an (in use) bench and chop saw screwed to the deck on Sunday PM just before leaving – this is an amazing achievement! The only ARC boat to be built along the way. Some of the “sniffier” crews that saw the state of us on Sat/Sun are probably now thinking WTF..

    Alongside fuel calcs, we’re currently working on beer consumption calcs. The original was 2.3 per person per day plus some wine. Given the fact we’re now a motorboat, this has gone completely out of the window. Hoping to average down again once sailing or there may be a mutiny.

    Comfort upgrades continue, we plumbed in the commercial ice maker yesterday – 60kg per day on full chat and the watermaker is doing a great job in keeping up with our consumption. Hammocks also went in today and the atmosphere on the boat is extremely relaxed, various jobs being done in between chilling, reading, sleeping etc.

    Food is tip top courtesy of Sam the chef – last night was pork loin with veggies, sautéed root veg and a red wine reduction. Yum.

    All in all, not quite what anyone was expecting but we’re taking advantage of the conditions whilst we can.

    Cheers

    M

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Conwy
    Posts
    4,335

    Default Re: Forum Member doing the Arc

    Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post

    Alongside fuel calcs, we’re currently working on beer consumption calcs. The original was 2.3 per person per day plus some wine. Given the fact we’re now a motorboat, this has gone completely out of the window. Hoping to average down again once sailing or there may be a mutiny.



    He's selling the idea. (After watching a couple of RTW, Vindaloo whatever, yacht races I developed quite an aversion to any notion that this was a civilised way to spend time)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Forum Member doing the Arc

    I’ve been following on yb connect then via dedicated race app.
    If your allowed to motor, I just can’t see the relevance of your position in the rally!
    However it will be a great adventure and and will give rise to many a tale of daring-do.
    Much kudos to Nick and gang!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Live London
    Posts
    3,985

    Default Re: Forum Member doing the Arc

    Quote Originally Posted by Asm View Post
    I’ve been following on yb connect then via dedicated race app.
    If your allowed to motor, I just can’t see the relevance of your position in the rally!
    However it will be a great adventure and and will give rise to many a tale of daring-do.
    Much kudos to Nick and gang!
    You declare your engine hours and they then use that to calculate you final position.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Forum Member doing the Arc

    Thanks for the explanation, I wonder if they factor in the speed while motoring, if not, the temptation would be (subject to fuel) would be to press on hard!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    17,806

    Default Re: Forum Member doing the Arc

    This is just to relay a pic which I received from jrudge, who has difficulties at the moment to upload files.
    Actually, I got his email this morning (08:19 CET), but I've been out and about all day, and I just can't stand dealing with somewhat complicated posts on mobile devices...
    ...Also because, for an old luddite like myself, it takes a fraction of the time with an old fashion notebook!

    Anyhow, J, sorry for the delay, but if you don't mind the wait, feel free to send me any other pics you might have, and I'll be happy to post them here for you.
    In the meantime, fair winds, and (most importantly! ) fingers crossed for not running out of beer too soon.

    PS: judging from your pic, I feel bold enough to declare that I could handle the boat as professionally as you are!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Conwy
    Posts
    4,335

    Default Re: Forum Member doing the Arc

    Ace!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Live London
    Posts
    3,985

    Default Re: Forum Member doing the Arc

    Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    This is just to relay a pic which I received from jrudge, who has difficulties at the moment to upload files.
    Actually, I got his email this morning (08:19 CET), but I've been out and about all day, and I just can't stand dealing with somewhat complicated posts on mobile devices...
    ...Also because, for an old luddite like myself, it takes a fraction of the time with an old fashion notebook!

    Anyhow, J, sorry for the delay, but if you don't mind the wait, feel free to send me any other pics you might have, and I'll be happy to post them here for you.
    In the meantime, fair winds, and (most importantly! ) fingers crossed for not running out of beer too soon.

    PS: judging from your pic, I feel bold enough to declare that I could handle the boat as professionally as you are!
    Thank you.

    An international effort. I am in Cala Dor and imgur does not work on a phone so I called in backup !

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Staffordshire / Torquay
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Forum Member doing the Arc

    4th in class, 14th overall, any updates from on-board jrudge ??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to