View Poll Results: What did you spend as a % of your wealth (identity not shown)

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 2%

10 14.49%
  • 2% to 5%

12 17.39%
  • 5% to 10%

21 30.43%
  • 10% to 20%

11 15.94%
  • Over 20%

15 21.74%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: How much to spend on your boat compared to your wealth?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Money spent on boats and boating has been worth every penny.
    Owning and running a boat has , more than any other thing, been my antidote to the stresses of work. The boat has therefore motivated me to keep working.
    So by being my primary source of wellbeing the boat has, indirectly , helped me to earn money. Therefore not a cost at all but a benefit.
    ditto...
    describes my situation quite nicely too - my boat is an absolute pleasure, the costs are high at times, but that just helps me keep focus on the business and future... a virtuous circle perhaps.

Whilst I get that money is obviously important it isn’t everything. Boating has been at the core of our a family life, our kids grew up with it and we did stuff together at a time when their peers were preoccupied with other teenage pursuits. It provided the perfect antidote to my demanding and stressful professional life and it has shaped our son’s life as he went into the leisure marine industry and is now doing very well for himself. How do you put a price on stuff like this?

As has been said, life is for the living and boating is a major part of our lives so we are prepared to put a lot of our resources into. Not everything - we are mindful of remaining viable and being able to cope with unforeseen costs but to us a set percentage is meaningless - the only thing we ask ourselves is can we afford it, will it still be affordable when we pack up work and can we still do one or two other things. If the answer to all of these is ‘yes’ then it matters not whether it is 5% or 50% of our net worth (which in itself strikes me as being something of an artificial construct).

All IMHO of course
    Last edited by Greg2; 01-12-19 at 11:59.

Work to live, or live to work.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

depends on whos asking ?

if I was honest about my boat costs I think I would be depressed and single!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post
    Do you think anyone is telling the truth anyway! I canít remember the last time I was honest about how much my boat costs. Everything is half price if anyone asks
    Fairline Targa 43 "Harley"

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post
    Do you think anyone is telling the truth anyway! I canít remember the last time I was honest about how much my boat costs. Everything is half price if anyone asks
    I keep a record of all my boat costs on a spreadsheet. I once made the fatal mistake of leaving my computer open on the saloon table in my boat and my SWMBO happened to see it. That cost me a summer house in our garden at home. Loose talk costs wives

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Loose talk costs wives
    classic

I once made the fatal mistake of leaving my computer open on the saloon table in my boat and my SWMBO happened to see it.
    On the bright side, you obviously didn't leave also the Tinder webpage open.
    Not sure that a garden house would have covered that...

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    On the bright side, you obviously didn't leave also the Tinder webpage open.
    Not sure that a garden house would have covered that...
    She would have just laughed and called me a silly old man

Yes you could. If only we knew how long we were going to live exactly, we could match our boat buying man maths to the number of years we've got left Believe me if I knew for sure I was only going to last until this time next year I'd buy that SD92 and Ferrari 488 today

Actually my opinion is somewhat influenced by the situation regarding care for the elderly in the UK. For a start our state pension is far less than most other European countries and there is virtually no state funding for the care of the elderly in the UK so if youre going to live a relatively comfortable old age in this country, you better put some money away rather than spaff it away on a boat
    An interesting point. The government can take your house to pay for nursing care but can they take your boat?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast