View Poll Results: What did you spend as a % of your wealth (identity not shown)

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 2%

10 14.49%
  • 2% to 5%

12 17.39%
  • 5% to 10%

21 30.43%
  • 10% to 20%

11 15.94%
  • Over 20%

15 21.74%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: How much to spend on your boat compared to your wealth?

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    So make your last boat a very expensive one.
    Bit of a bummer if you soldier on for another 10yrs after youre too decrepit to go boating though

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Bit of a bummer if you soldier on for another 10yrs after youre too decrepit to go boating though
    As good a reason as any to ignore percentages like this and get your boat while you're young rather than waiting for your net worth to increase.
    Pensions and House values are mostly a function of age, the older you are the more your house and pension are worth, but the less you are likely to earn between now and retirement.
    A more meaningful number would be the percentage of net worth excluding your main home and pension, but most of us would be happier not knowing that :-)
    www.fimtra.com - Distributed software, Innovative solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    It's a bad idea to ever be too decrepit to not be able to go boating. I've seen it close up and it's grim. Don't do it.

Well for us it depends how you value your boat to making you feel alive , so we were living in a flat saving up for a deposit for a house, then I borrowed a boat off my mate to ski at Windermere we slept on it as well, great weekend. Took the boat back , he says buy it so I told swbo and yes we spent all the deposit on the boat now on our 9th boat. Do we enjoy our 42/5 any more than the 19 ft , no my point get on the water and your boat grows with your wealth.

Kind of on topic but a statistic I found interesting was the income gap between the bottom 10% and the top 10% was 10.5 times which I find quite acceptable when you think of the risk and sacrifice that most of the top 10% have taken.
    However the top 10% have 219 times more in assets which makes them appear a whole lot wealthier.
    Source; OECD
    just sayiní

After spending loads every season, I have nothing to show except for a huge sense of peace, happiness and enjoyment. I donít have a lot but, what I can spare after everything thatís necessary , gets spent on boating stuff !! Not sure how that equates to net %ís etc etc but, I donít really care !!

At the crudest level of maths, it stands to reason. If someone has 10x the income of another, he/she/they will have 200x the assets in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by NDB View Post
    After spending loads every season, I have nothing to show except for a huge sense of peace, happiness and enjoyment. I don’t have a lot but, what I can spare after everything that’s necessary , gets spent on boating stuff !! Not sure how that equates to net %’s etc etc but, I don’t really care !!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    At the crudest level of maths, it stands to reason. If someone has 10x the income of another, he/she/they will have 200x the assets in 20 years.
    Unless you are a a spine surgeon in the US, that is...

Quote Originally Posted by NDB View Post
    After spending loads every season, I have nothing to show except for a huge sense of peace, happiness and enjoyment.
    I don’t have a lot but, what I can spare after everything that’s necessary , gets spent on boating stuff !!
    Not sure how that equates to net %’s etc etc but, I don’t really care !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian h View Post
    +1
    +2.

If I may quote Jack Nickolson, from The Bucket List...
    "What do you think happens now?
    I go back and sit around listening to people talking about mezzanine financing and subordinated debt, pretending that I care about dead money.
    You go home to some ceremonial procession into death with everyone standing around watching you die while you try to comfort them."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast