View Poll Results: What did you spend as a % of your wealth (identity not shown)

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 2%

10 14.49%
  • 2% to 5%

12 17.39%
  • 5% to 10%

21 30.43%
  • 10% to 20%

11 15.94%
  • Over 20%

15 21.74%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: How much to spend on your boat compared to your wealth?

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    +2.

If I may quote Jack Nickolson, from The Bucket List...
    "What do you think happens now?
    I go back and sit around listening to people talking about mezzanine financing and subordinated debt, pretending that I care about dead money.
    You go home to some ceremonial procession into death with everyone standing around watching you die while you try to comfort them."
    “....Skydiving huh....” but the point is well made.

Here is something that i looked at recently as i am new into this. I spent 15% of annual income in the new boat. It will cost between 2% and 4% to run so i feel comfortable. It is a lot of money anyways but the important as referred is to live life. It is really short and more than half has already passed...

I would simply ask if an attempt to obtain such personal information about people is appropriate on this forum.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    I would simply ask if an attempt to obtain such personal information about people is appropriate on this forum.
    Do you think anyone is telling the truth anyway! I can’t remember the last time I was honest about how much my boat costs. Everything is half price if anyone asks

Money spent on boats and boating has been worth every penny.
    Owning and running a boat has , more than any other thing, been my antidote to the stresses of work. The boat has therefore motivated me to keep working.
    So by being my primary source of wellbeing the boat has, indirectly , helped me to earn money. Therefore not a cost at all but a benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Owning and running a boat has , more than any other thing, been my antidote to the stresses of work. The boat has therefore motivated me to keep working.
    So by being my primary source of wellbeing the boat has, indirectly , helped me to earn money. Therefore not a cost at all but a benefit.
    what he said

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Well done you have taken man maths to postgraduate level
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Well done you have taken man maths to postgraduate level
    And way beyond. I think MartynG should be appointed our resident forum Professor of Man Maths. That is as brilliant a piece of man maths as I've ever seen Respect

I thought to have implemented some remarkable man math when I decided to keep the antidote to the work stress, while getting ride also of the work stress altogether...
    But I must admit that MG reasoning is in another league - if nothing else, because it can be applied throughout the whole working life.
    He does get my vote as resident Professor, though I can think also of several Principal Lecturers, here in the asylum!
    Last edited by MapisM; 30-11-19 at 15:13.

Oh rubbish. I'm surprised you last three ever bought a boat with those fiscally cramped opinions. I dont want to be better off in my dotage. I want to maintain my standard of life throughout life. I had a vocation. It was great while it lasted and I would recommend to anyone to chose that path if it brings them joy. Now I work for money and get my kicks outside the work environment. All you patronising fogeys on about frittering ones bucks away are incredibly presumptuous from a younger man's viewpoint. My epiphany after being an eager and exemplar slave to the modern workplace was life balance. Too bad it only came at 40. Now every day is a holiday and my retirement? I already own villa on an island in paradise albeit inherited, I'm just not ready to retire just yet.
    Last edited by BruceK; 30-11-19 at 16:08.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast