Default Faulty grill element?

We have a standard domestic fan oven in the galley which works fine in 'oven' mode but when it gets turned onto 'grill' mode it trips either the shore side RCD or the on board RCD.

Is this indicative of a faulty grill element or something more sinister in the unit. Can't remember what make it is, but it's not one of the better known brands and it doesn't look very old either.

Any thoughts from the collective please?

Default Re: Faulty grill element?

I don't know about grill elements but regular oven elements are easy to source and replace (DIY).

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Cox View Post
    We have a standard domestic fan oven in the galley which works fine in 'oven' mode but when it gets turned onto 'grill' mode it trips either the shore side RCD or the on board RCD.

Is this indicative of a faulty grill element or something more sinister in the unit. Can't remember what make it is, but it's not one of the better known brands and it doesn't look very old either.

Any thoughts from the collective please?
    Bear in mind I bought a brand new sharp combi to replace the one on my boat for £99 from AO.com so it may not be worth repairing if it is not in its prime

Is this indicative of a faulty grill element or something more sinister in the unit.
    Electric oven and grill elements are notorious for tripping RCDs. Moisture gets into the insulation (SiO2?) between the casing and the conductor and the resulting leakage current is enough to cause problems.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Electric oven and grill elements are notorious for tripping RCDs. Moisture gets into the insulation (SiO2?) between the casing and the conductor and the resulting leakage current is enough to cause problems.
    Is that in the element itself you're referring to? If so, it sounds as though it may be worth replacing the element, but if it's more than that, then as jrudge suggests, it's probably worth replacing the whole unit.

Also, would using the fan oven not remove any moisture inside it or am I being overly simplistic..........again.
    Thanks
    Andy

Is that in the element itself you're referring to? If so, it sounds as though it may be worth replacing the element, but if it's more than that, then as jrudge suggests, it's probably worth replacing the whole unit.

Also, would using the fan oven not remove any moisture inside it or am I being overly simplistic..........again.
    Thanks
    Andy
    No it won’t dry out, you will have to take the oven out the element will be held in by 13mm nuts ! There may well be a small self tapper in the oven holding the element easy eBay find most are generic or take it to local repair shop to match it up . Ps don’t forget to isolate.

Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    No it won’t dry out, you will have to take the oven out the element will be held in by 13mm nuts ! There may well be a small self tapper in the oven holding the element easy eBay find most are generic or take it to local repair shop to match it up . Ps don’t forget to isolate.
    Thanks seastoke, that's very helpful. I'm going down to the boat on Saturday and will get the element out and look for a replacement, as you say, probably generic. Will certainly make sure it's isolated
    Thanks
    Andy

Thanks seastoke, that's very helpful. I'm going down to the boat on Saturday and will get the element out and look for a replacement, as you say, probably generic. Will certainly make sure it's isolated
    Thanks
    Andy
    so take a photo of connections before you disconnect , if you tape up the wires you could use the oven side while you get element also you might need star bits to get at elements ps you may be able to get the element out from inside the oven there will be a Philips screw in the element and don't forget a torch to see in oven ,good luck.

Yes, just the element. I'm told that they caused a lot of problems as people started installing RCBs at home and found that they tripped constantly despite apparently healthy systems.

Perhaps it would be simplest just to power the grill, or even the element, through an RCB on an extension lead and see if that goes bing.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I was on the boat at the weekend and removed the grill element. I had to pull the oven out and go in through the back to get at the element retaining hardware, but it was no big deal.

It's an Ignis unit which I think is part of the Hotpoint brand but I struggled to find a generic element and have had to get a genuine one at £57. I'll see what happens when I fit the new one in a few days time.