Default Boat polishing (again!)

It has been suggested to me that with hard polishing its possible to overheat the gelcoat leaving it somewhat distorted even if there is no sign of burning. Has anybody experience of this?

Default Re: Boat polishing (again!)

There are many risks involved with polishing your boat, gel coat damage, burns, electric shock, falling off a ladder, lopsided sun tan etc etc, after nearly 20 years of boats, I find the best thing is to only polish the boat just before you sell it. If you can, pay someone else to do it. There are one or two exceptions to this rule.
    1) if your neighbour polishes his/her boat - just do the stern/transom to be neighbourly and fit in. However only do the bits that can be seen from the pontoon, and don't do the other side - you will set some other poor bugger off.
    2) if your neighbour starts polishing their boat - go boating and enjoy the ocean. When you come back you will be too knackered to start polishing the boat. You will feel manly and proud and be covered in salt - you need BEER!
    3) if the weather is not suitable for boating, go to the pub and drink BEER!
    4) if your neighbours girlfriend/wife/partner starts polishing their boat in a bikini, go to the pub, take the dog for a walk, go swimming, whatever you do, DO NOT start polishing your own boat, there will not be a happy ending in this scenario.

5) if you have an overwhelming compulsion to polish your boat, take it slow, use a proper machine polisher and keep it moving. I find 3M products very good- especially the oxidation remover - see 1,2,3,4 etc.
    Top Tip: if this compulsion is really overwhelming make sure you have plenty of beer in the fun box (it's really hard work) and don't wear a bikini.
    Last edited by kashurst; 28-11-19 at 22:47.

If I cannot wear a bikini, I do not want to do it.

If you do polish your boat make sure you use plenty of water spray to stop the polish drying and overheating the grp. This also has the effect of making sure everything within 20 yards gets splattered, including your neighbour's boat, meaning the b@stard will have to polish his whether he/she wants to or not.

You wd have to polish very hard to heat the grp to distort it. Tho you could distort or remove gelcoat a lot earlier. Nice excuse not to do any polishing. I have bits of 2000 grade wet dry to get things ready for polishing tho not actually doing it