Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Atmospheric Pool for Sea Survival

There used to be a fun filled day out at one in Horsea Lake in Portsmouth.

After a morning of lectures one would be invited to don a once only suit, climb a high board and jump in to a rather smelly and freezing cold lake. Especially in February. Then swim to the liferaft and if you are an early arrival, help to turn it the right way up before climbing in. Once fully boarded, being towed up and down the lake by a rib can add that extra level of realism by inducing vomiting amongst probably half of the survivors.
    Joy. Oh and for the best experience it should be raining.

Only snag really is that you have to join the Navy first.......

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Andark, they do stcw95 .
    They don’t have the waves and wind that the OP’s looking for, though. I did my RYA Sea Survival there and the most we got was the instructor rinsing us down with a garden hose

(I have also done the offshore course for work that BoB refers to; as he says, no waves there either although some of the helicopter escapes were required to be in the dark. Makes no difference to me since I can’t open my eyes underwater and do it all by feel either way )

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    They don’t have the waves and wind that the OP’s looking for, though. I did my RYA Sea Survival there and the most we got was the instructor rinsing us down with a garden hose

(I have also done the offshore course for work that BoB refers to; as he says, no waves there either although some of the helicopter escapes were required to be in the dark. Makes no difference to me since I can’t open my eyes underwater and do it all by feel either way )

Pete
    Yes they do.
    The pool is rough, they have flashing lights/klaxons simulating abandon ship, whilst the 'victims' donned with Titanic type Board of Trade life vest, jump from a high board & have to right a very large raft & climb onboard.
    It is designed for the marine industry, not yachties.

The STCW ones will be more fun for sure. You get to wear a solid lifejacket and boiler suit in the pool,
    I have a feeling that nowhere allows people to wear what they would be wearing on a yacht, such as thermals, warm clothing, 2 pairs of sodden rugby socks, a couple of wooly hats, soggy gloves, oilskins containing torch, VHF, knife, multitool, Mars bar, squashed pork pie and crumpled invoice from previous marina, topped off with a life jacket and tether..
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    The STCW ones will be more fun for sure. You get to wear a solid lifejacket and boiler suit in the pool,
    I have a feeling that nowhere allows people to wear what they would be wearing on a yacht, such as thermals, warm clothing, 2 pairs of sodden rugby socks, a couple of wooly hats, soggy gloves, oilskins containing torch, VHF, knife, multitool, Mars bar, squashed pork pie and crumpled invoice from previous marina, topped off with a life jacket and tether..
    Less is more. We just picked up a mooring for lunch. My polo shirt and shorts got a tad damp in the beat up here but sun dried them out. We are about 50 metres off a nudie beach. Not a hat in sight.....

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Less is more. We just picked up a mooring for lunch. My polo shirt and shorts got a tad damp in the beat up here but sun dried them out. We are about 50 metres off a nudie beach. Not a hat in sight.....
    Plenty of helmets presumably.

I have only once done a Sea Survival course. That was at RAF Mountbatten in Plymouth. A day or two of lectures then the "practical". They took us out into the harbour in a RAF launch on a freezing November morning dressed in winter flying gear with lifejackets. They lobbed an uninflated liferaft in the sea and we all had to jump in after it, get it inflated and then climb in. As it was flat calm they drove the launch round and round us for about 30mins to give us a feeling of being at sea. Very unpleasant it was too!! Not sure how instructive it was other than to make us feel that we would rather not go there in the first place.

Yes they do.
    The pool is rough, they have flashing lights/klaxons simulating abandon ship, whilst the 'victims' donned with Titanic type Board of Trade life vest, jump from a high board & have to right a very large raft & climb onboard.
    It is designed for the marine industry, not yachties.
    That said - I've done many offshore survival courses in the past, the more unpleasant it is simply brings into focus the nature of the marine environment and how you might deal with it as a threatened human being. When the metaphorical SH** his the propelling device, some people are stronger in spirit than others (not drams either). Having done some ugly, scary courses is no bad thing. Being comfortable with water (broadest sense) goes a long way to coping with unplanned immersion. The continued watering down of such courses does nobody any favours.

Yes they do.
    The pool is rough
    How do they make waves in this pool without all the water escaping?

Pete

Waves happen in the sea and it's water doesn't escape

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast