Default Looking for my first boat: Merry Fisher 755 or Antares 8.80 (or similar)

Afternoon all. Newbie here, so apologies if I've posted this incorrectly. I've been loitering on the YBW motor boat forum for the past 6 months in an attempt to decide what type of boat to buy and have concluded that the best fit for me is a fast fisher. Can anyone advise re the pros and cons? I'm hoping to put it on Drystack in Dartmouth in the Summer and in a marina for the Winter. I've had some boat experience in the past and have recently done my Powerboat 2 course. I need something that will happily accommodate two adults and two teenagers, possibly for the odd overnighter or longer trip. I think that an Antares 8.80 would be perfect, but there aren't many about. Any Antares 8.80 owners opinions or other recommendations would be hugely appreciated. I'm going round in circles at the moment. Can anyone help?

Default Re: Looking for my first boat: Merry Fisher 755 or Antares 8.80 (or similar)

you can put Rodman and Karnic also on the list of potential candidates,

important choice is the engine, inboard or outboard,

the latter being more modern, and more fuel efficient,
    where are you going to use her ?
    afaik, petrol is not available everywhere in UK marina's

inboard usually means diesel in this range,
    you have much more space on the swim platform,
    preferred propulsion here on the forum is shaft instead of outdrive. (re reliability and maintenance cost.)

I 've alway's liked sport fisher models,
    still have a Karnic2660 with twin diesel on a trailer,
    and despite little use, still want to keep her as a second boat.

edit;
    and welcome on the forum,
    you will get here loads of info and advice

Default Re: Looking for my first boat: Merry Fisher 755 or Antares 8.80 (or similar)

Thanks Bart

I'm hoping to do some coastal trips from Dartmouth and on the Dart itself, but would love to do something further afield once I've got (a lot) more experience.

I'm a fan of outboards, so reckon that's my preference. It does limit my options though and I'm aware petrol isn't always available. It is currently in Dartmouth though. I'm nervous about buying something too old, but I'm not sure if my fear is warranted. I suspect it depends on the brand. I'm currently looking at boats around 2012. I could go newer, but they'd have to be smaller, given my budget.

I originally started looking at sports cuddy boats, but think I'll get a lot more use out of an enclosed cabin. My wife isn't a great sailor, so keeping everyone warm and dry will make life far more enjoyable.

Thanks again for your advice.

For accommodation, especially for 4, probably wouldn't bother with the 755 it's more of a day boat- had one in 2013 from new - not a bad day fisher but I regretted selling my Mitchell 31 - lot more comfortable and a 1/2 reasonable bed. Obviously Mitchel probably wont be right for you, but IMO comfort (not just space but how it feels on the water) on a boat is a product of size & weight

I was a bit concerned about the size of the 755, so thanks for confirming. I wasn't sure whether 4 could fit around the wheelhouse table comfortably, which has shifted me towards the Antares, which feels so much bigger and has more sleeping space. It also has an 'airstep' hull, which may make it a little more stable than the Merry Fisher.

Botnia Targa 25? Channel Islands 22?

Hi Andrew,
    I have a Quicksilver Weekend 855 since last August. Merry Fisher 755 was on my list but for
    some other reason I did not buy one.

After one year owner of Quicksilver Weekend 855, I found that the space is very good for 2
    adults, acceptable for 3 adults, terrible for 4 adults, even though the official pictures show you
    4 adults on board. I mean, yes, 4 adults can be on board, but it's like sitting on a public bus,
    when trying to move around is not so easy. The bed in owner's room is just big enough to let
    2 adult sleep on it side-by-side, but the bed in guest room is good for 2 adults.

No matter which brand, they fit pretty much everything into a boat even she is not as big
    as a 40 feet boat. So you can imagine how much space left for people. If the time is reversible, I would take a 32" ~ 35" boat.

My boat is about the same size as the Antares 8.80 in your pocket, so maybe my experience
    can help you when making decisions.

ps. I usually go out with my wife and a high school daughter.

Hi Peter

Many thanks for your input. It's very helpful. I agree, there is a lot squeezed into the 8.80.

Unfortunately the drystack I'm planning to use can only take a maximum of 10m, so 33' would be the limit. Perhaps the enclosed cabin is the problem. A more open sports boat may feel a little less cramped, but I like the idea of being able to close out the weather. I'd like to use the boat over the winter.

I'd be using it with my wife and two teenage daughters, so I need to be sure it's big enough.

Thanks again.