Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Albin Vega 27 Vs Sadler 26

Hey all,

Sorry I'm asking one of those questions... I know - but I've narrowed my choices down to the 26-29ft range and I really would like something cheap but functional. There are a couple of Vegas available, one is 6.5k and the other is nearer 9.5k.

Obviously the Vegas are really solid boats and have done all sorts of voyages, even to the Antarctic. I like the idea of having such a proven boat. Likewise, the Sadler 26 is also a very attractive boat, but is it a Bluewater boat like the Vega? For me, the vastly superior accommodations on the Sadler is very attractive. Both boats are in the range of 6-12k.

The Vega could take me across an ocean and cope with heavy weather, but how about the Sadler?

Default Re: Albin Vega 27 Vs Sadler 26

Some info here about passages made:
    https://www.lucasyachting.co.uk/sadl...dler-26-yacht/

I say this every time but IMO the Albin Ballad is a better boat than the Vega for not a lot more. Built like a tank, keel stepped mast rather than deck stepped, decent skeg rudder, no offset prop or worries about going backwards. Bigger, better layout, more speed and in my eyes better looking.

But there are some well sorted Vegas out there and if money was an issue I would be very tempted.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

As with most things, the bluewater credentials of most older boats were gained when the boats concerned were a lot younger and the choice available was very different - when you look at what has been achieved in the past, and what you can find on YouTube today, the term "Blue Water Boat" basically means how comfortable do you want to be while doing long-distance cruising - people succeed on a massive array of boats of all sizes and budgets. Comms are better, weather prediction is better, and there are more boats on the oceans than ever before.

I'm pretty convinced a well sorted version of either boat will be more than capable of doing what you want.

I grew up on a Vega and it was a very nice boat to cruise the West Coast of Scotland. She always felt safe and seaworthy, if a little small by todays standards. Absolute pain to reverse under power but sailed beautifully.

Go with what you feel you want - you are the one who has to live with your choice
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

I owned a Vega for four years and cruised the West Coast quite extensively (Galway to Orkney and everywhere inbetween). So I am probably a little biased.
    I have done a week long delivery trip on a Sadler 26 as well, from Troon to Skye. It was interesting to compare the two boats.

On paper the Sadler does look as though the accommodation and layout are a better use of space. But in practise I'm not so sure. The dinette is quite nice, and better than the wobbly excuse of a table you get on a Vega. But the overall hull volume seems smaller. Remember that the foam lining steals space- the lockers are not as cavernous as you would hope for. The Vega has far better cockpit locker space, which I think is a better use of hull volume than the claustrophobic quarter berth on the Sadler. I'm only 5'5 and pretty skinny but I still struggled to get in and out of it.

The rig on the Sadler is also a bit lighter than the Vega, which has proper fore and aft lowers. In terms of sailing, the Sadler was lovely, I will admit, with a light helm and a decent turn of speed unless facing into a chop. I remember bobbing our way out of the narrows at Cuan Sound and thinking we were going up and down faster than we were going forward.

Personally, I would choose the Vega if you want a more serious offshore boat. They are usually cheaper than the Sadler, and in a number of small ways I think they are more robust. The Sadler is much easier to handle under power, comes with bilge keel options, and has the dinette layout (although at least one Vega was converted to dinette). And for what it's worth, the Sadler is a better looking boat, IMHO...
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

I lived full time on my Vega for 2 years & was quite happy doing it. At 5'7" I could just about stand up in the saloon and the amount of gear I had stowed was quite remarkable. I wouldn't worry too much about the reversing, as long as you stop to think about what's going to happen you'll work out a way to get out safely. I think Baggywrinkle is right when he says a well sorted version of either will be fine which begs the question of what gear each boat has & age of engine, standing rigging, sails, bunk cushions, etc. Ten grand is a lot for a Vega nowadays, for that I'd expect recent sails & standing rigging and a recentish replacement engine...

Is there much call for reversing in blue-water sailing?
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

A pal of mine sailed a Sadler 26 (called Tahit) singlehanded in the first ARC Rally in 1986 from the Canaries to Barbados - I think he later sailed her back to Britain, not too sure. But I think this voyage proves that they are good seaboats (he also sailed first from Britain to the Canaries).
    I have also met a few Vegas out here, and they certainly do have an excellent reputation. One lives here now, and she recently had a major refit, including a new Yanmar diesel, and she is lovely.
    Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://www.doyleguides.com/barbados/

Thanks all for the valuable insights and considered responses.

Kelpie - that's particularly useful and some food for thought for me.

Cheers

We almost bought a Vega a couple of seasons ago.

Nice boat and ideal for some safe offshore passage making but (I'm a bit lardy as well as being 6'2") I could barely fit into the heads compartment. Shame as it seemed to sail beautifully.

And GBP 9.5k should buy you a FABULOUS Vega. Top money. Many are sailable and safe and good condition and half that price. Remember to get whatever you buy properly surveyed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast