Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: NHS Treatment Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by grumpygit View Post
    it used to go something like this . . . . the time limit for the loss of NHS treatment is technically 90 days but on return if questioned you can state you are renewing full time residency back in the UK and you can then receive free NHS treatment.
    If I'm wrong, I'm sure I will be corrected.
    It did indeed "used to", but doesn't any more. As said, there is now no specified time limit to absence, but for many treatments (by no means all), ordinarily resident is required. HMG literature is unambiguous on this.

GPs and other medics have a lot with which to keep up-to-date. I imagine (and hope) that matters clinical attract more of their attention than matters bureaucratic. Is it really surprising that some of their judgments on the latter are out of date?
    All epigrams are false

So if you are resident in Spain then you need a Spanish Ehic and then you won’t pay here.

🇵🇹Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Spades View Post
    So if you are resident in Spain then you need a Spanish Ehic and then you won’t pay here.
    You might need one, but being eligible is a different matter. Throughout the EEA, EHICs must be issued by the national health insurance institution where you are insured, not where you live. If you're living and working in Spain, then you may qualify for an EHIC from their social security body, TSE. Some countries accept resident UK citizens into their healthcare scheme more readily than others. I believe Portugal, and perhaps also Spain, are relatively generous on this. (Nortada will know.) Many Brits, however, would be eligible only for a UK-issued EHIC. As mentioned above by Tony Cross, UK pensioners and some other groups resident in the EU27/EEA may be eligible for "S1" cover, underwritten by the UK.

Of course much of this could change, for the worse, quite soon.
    All epigrams are false

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    You might need one, but being eligible is a different matter. Throughout the EEA, EHICs must be issued by the national health insurance institution where you are insured, not where you live. If you're living and working in Spain, then you may qualify for an EHIC from their social security body, TSE. Some countries accept resident UK citizens into their healthcare scheme more readily than others. I believe Portugal, and perhaps also Spain, are relatively generous on this. (Nortada will know.) Many Brits, however, would be eligible only for a UK-issued EHIC. As mentioned above by Tony Cross, UK pensioners and some other groups resident in the EU27/EEA may be eligible for "S1" cover, underwritten by the UK.
    Of course much of this could change, for the worse, quite soon.
    NHIC cards are issued by one's country of residence and it's within the rules to be resident in more than one country. Having permanent residence status in Portugal, I'm in their health system free of charge and have an EHIC issued by them, no need to be working or making contributions. I think those on temporary 5 year residence can also have one. Have no info about health system in other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    NHIC cards are issued by one's country of residence
    They are not. They are issued by your country of health insurance (in your case, Portugal which, as I suggested, has a rather more flexible practice than most EEA countries).
    This is the official EU position, from their europa website: "You obtain a card by contacting the health insurance institution where you are insured and which is therefore responsible for assuming your healthcare costs." (My bolds.)
    All epigrams are false

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    They are not. They are issued by your country of health insurance (in your case, Portugal which, as I suggested, has a rather more flexible practice than most EEA countries).
    This is the official EU position, from their europa website: "You obtain a card by contacting the health insurance institution where you are insured and which is therefore responsible for assuming your healthcare costs." (My bolds.)
    You are missing the point. To get into (say) Portugal's health care system, it's necessary to be resident there. A visitor can't just turn up and ask to be included in their system. From the Expatica site - the local health provider or insurer in your country of residence will be the first point of contact.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanbasset View Post
    Which year, because Hutton was a Health minister under Blair, Hutton left the role in 2005
    And Liam Fox in 2003, so I guess itís at least 16 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    You are missing the point. To get into (say) Portugal's health care system, it's necessary to be resident there. A visitor can't just turn up and ask to be included in their system. From the Expatica site - the local health provider or insurer in your country of residence will be the first point of contact.
    No, Graham, it's you that is missing the point by generalising from the particular practice in Portugal. As said, EHICs can only be issued by countries in which the applicant is (health) insured. If Portugal is more generous than most in extending that insurance to resident visitors, then that's your good fortune. To suggest for one instant that such practice is EEA-wide is irresponsible. If you disagree with my quote from the europa site, "an official website of the European Union", "I suggest you take the matter up with them.

As for your Expatica quote, you omitted the caveat with which the sentence began: "In most cases...." That is key because in most cases applicants will have spent their entire lives in the country in which they have contributed to the state healthcare system, so insuring country and country of residence will be one and the same. You (I presume) and I (for sure) are exceptions to that.

Incidentally, I made not the slightest suggestion that "a visitor can just turn up and join their system." Those words are entirely yours.
    Last edited by macd; 03-12-19 at 16:49.
    All epigrams are false

Careful Graham, they will want to join us in our utopia.

You are aware of my status and I can confirm from personal experience that, in Portugal, your take is correct.

As to other EU countries, it appears to be substantially different so it is for others to paddle their own canoe in the environment they find themselves in.

Could be wrong but from all of my research, post Brexit, little or nothing will change in Portugal.
    🇵🇹Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123