Default Pre-Cruising Instructor Course, on-line assessment questions.

To qualify to join an RYA CI course, potential students are required to complete an on-line knowledge quiz, before being accepted on a course.
    It would be interesting and educational to know what the questions are, and the pass mark needed.

I wonder if copies of previous 'papers' are available, so that anyone interested can benefit?
    Or maybe any recently qualified CI's on board remember what sort of thing was asked?

I am only enquiring to further my skills and knowledge, possibly with a view to taking the course myself in a year or so.
    I have no issues with the RYA or any individual.
    TIA.
    Last edited by Ohlin Karcher; 30-11-19 at 17:39.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Default Re: Pre-Cruising Instructor Course, on-line assessment questions.

I did Shorebased Instructor in 2008 and CI in 2017.

The on-line CI Pre-Course Knowledge check has 2 parts. Part 1 is "Teaching and Learning", Part 2 is "Background Theory"

The RYA "YM Scheme Instructor Handbook" should help prepare you for Part 1.

https://www.rya.org.uk/shop/Pages/pr...uctor-handbook

Part 2 is self explanatory and your G158 Logbook shows the scheme syllabus.

The bar is set quite high but I can't remember the number. That said, if you put in the effort, it is possible to get 100% on both. The old adage, "the more you put in, the more you get out" is valid throughout our sailing careers.

You are expected to be an experienced, well rounded YM. I never wanted to do practical instructor as I thought it was going to be "too hard". What I mean is that I didn't fancy spending 5 days with up to 5 strangers of unknown ability, living 24 hours a day on-board while having to deliver the course in unpredictable conditions.

I did it shortly after retiring (early). I don't do a lot of courses, I've retired after all , but it is very enjoyable and rewarding. I now work for two schools at either end of the country.

Thanks very interesting!
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    To qualify to join an RYA CI course, potential students are required to complete an on-line knowledge quiz, before being accepted on a course.
    It would be interesting and educational to know what the questions are, and the pass mark needed.

I wonder if copies of previous 'papers' are available, so that anyone interested can benefit?
    Or maybe any recently qualified CI's on board remember what sort of thing was asked?

I am only enquiring to further my skills and knowledge, possibly with a view to taking the course myself in a year or so.
    I have no issues with the RYA or any individual.
    TIA.
    Hi Ohlin,

I did my CI earlier this year and now do a bit of part time instructing for comp crews and day skippers. Obviously you'll need a commercially endorsed YM to complete the course and that'll also require an online test.

I can't be 100%, but fairly certain the pass grade was 80% on the CI. You get two attempts at each section if memory serves. The Teaching & Learning part seemed straightforward. The background theory was more technical so worth brushing up on your YM skills if rusty. My biggest issue with this being that the test layout was confusing and the graphics poor. This led to me knowing the answer to the question, but not understanding how to input the answer on the test!

When you come to actually take your CI, you'll need to do a prep week. The exam is much more geared around testing your instructing capabilities than your sailing skills, though if there are serious issues there you'll be rooted out in the prep week (as happened to another guy on my week).

I reckon that well up the list should be the ability to get on with tired wet and cold people at the end of a five day course, of both sexes and various combinations of colour, nationality and creed. And still get them to enjoy themselves whilst learning.

Then go and do it again and again!

Thanks to both for your informative posts.
    John Hawkins

Is the on line thing a new RYA requirement.
    It must be it’s on website
    Last edited by Uricanejack; Today at 02:24.