Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    home again, where democracy needs no guns

Default Is there such a gadget ....

as a rearview mirror for a flybridge motor yacht. I know we could go high tech cameras but on the KISS principle wonder if there are rear view mirrors that might do the job-to see if anything is sneaking up astern not on AIS or radar. Boat is a Birchwood TS37 aft cabin with a full canopy over aft deck and RIB hung in davits. OK if we stand and look astern, but a swift glance in a mirror occasionally from the helm seats might do the trick
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Default Re: Is there such a gadget ....

I know you are saying high-tec cameras but they are cheap as chips, just rig up a couple aft connected to the plotter and they will help with berthing too.

There are very informative threads on this from Hurricane IIRC.

If you have a gopro and an ipad you can stream directly.

Ski boat mirror

home again, where democracy needs no guns

Quote Originally Posted by stelican View Post
    Ski boat mirror

not mountable high enough to see over stern canopy etc, caravan style wing mirrors might work but not saltwater proof

wireless cameras can be waterproof but the display not so much nor sunlight viewable.

convex mirror on a pole like lollipop lady sign,? or just post SWMBO at rear looking back.

Probably not needed just idle thoughts for when going for example up a channel at low speed like Lymington/Cowes and ferries et al pushing up astern unnoticed
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

some kind of rear facing periscope?

Here's one you could make - https://www.wired.co.uk/article/peri...s-back-of-head

I did try a motorbike mirror (mounted on a pole that supported the canopy) but it didn't work well so went the camera route.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    as a rearview mirror for a flybridge motor yacht. I know we could go high tech cameras but on the KISS principle wonder if there are rear view mirrors that might do the job-to see if anything is sneaking up astern not on AIS or radar. Boat is a Birchwood TS37 aft cabin with a full canopy over aft deck and RIB hung in davits. OK if we stand and look astern, but a swift glance in a mirror occasionally from the helm seats might do the trick
    Mk1 eyeball and turning ones head and neck is useful to comply with colregs and maintain proper look out (in all directions). otherwise you might like a bike wing mirror clipped on to flybridge rail. (Ie like clipping onto handlebars).
    Ocean Froggie

I use cameras, with the image inverted so it looks like my plotter screen is a mirror. Radar is also relevant

Guy Couach 22m flybridges sometimes have mirrors so I guess it was a factory option. Not a great idea imho. Here's one berthed beside me in Bonifacio a few years ago.

Last edited by jfm; 03-12-19 at 15:15.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanfroggie View Post
    Mk1 eyeball and turning ones head and neck is useful to comply with colregs and maintain proper look out (in all directions).
    Spot on! And since the OP mentioned the KISS principle, it's hard to think of anything better, in this respect!
    Btw, I can guess that cameras or mirrors are good enough to see if a big jet ferry is approaching on the same route, at risk of rear-ending your boat.
    But I don't think anything can beat eyesight in checking all around, including anything that might be wrong in your own boat (loose covers, unusual smoke, whatever).
    I might even go as far as admitting that the AnCam is much more useful than a rear camera, heaven forbid!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast