Thread: Deck Leaks

Default Deck Leaks

Hello, currently preparing a yacht (Slipper - Tyler 42) as a sail training yacht for Scouts and young people. The yacht was bought to fit out by a couple but sadly the chap died so it was eventually donated to us after standing for many years. Unfortunately deck leaks rotted much of the inside although it had never sailed. The previous owners made a terrible mistake, they put on a teak deck over the nice GRP non-slip one and badly secured it by drilling holes, screwing and nailing would you believe. Fortunately not a cored deck! To cut a long story short it leaked badly as you can imagine. In the long term we are going to remove it but in the meantime have re-caulked but finding water is coming in through screw heads etc, As soon as fixed one another appeared. A retired shipwright offered me advice. He said mix SBR with distilled water, nothing else in a 50/50 mix. Then paint on the decks and after dry wash off the surplus. So far this seems to have worked and the undried extra seeped out in the most unusual places. Has anyone else have any experience of this and does it last?

Default Re: Deck Leaks

That's an idea I have never heard of before. I wonder if SBR is the same sort of thing as the famous 'Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure', which is very effective but expensive if needed in large quantities.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Captain Tolley's is extremely thin to start with and sets hard so I'd have thought not suitable for use on a deck that might flex a bit. What's SBR?

Here we go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrene-butadiene

I always thought C'ptn Tolly's concoction looked like a PVA type emulsion. But there we are, could be a very useful trick to try lancing. Let us know if it continues to work ok.