Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Snurble grip-thribley

I have received a reply which certainly has the appearance of having come from myself, yet for some reason I am strangely doubtful . . . it could be the superfluous references to other types of thribley, or possible the undraped photograph which was attached.

- Nick

Sounds to me you're trying to pass off the lesser Type 7 Mk3 version - the one with the alloy dropflange which was, to my knowledge recalled in february 1971 following the Snurblegate scandal and of course the General Election that followed.

rudolph_hart is offline Registered User

Surely you would do better to advertise this in the Classic section, especially if it's a proper bronze one. A well-known local here, Nelson Gribble, cursed the 'cheapo' galvanised version (as he called it) to his dying day.

Apparently, he was dreggin for dobbleys just off the Futtik Bank in his original pitch-pine Snobbler, when his gear fouled a wreck (from its position, he thought it was probably 'Urrghph-Yrht' - Boudicca's old aircraft carrier sunk by the Romans).

The resulting all-standing gybe was too much for the galvanised grip-thribley, which sheared through in the way of its grattle pin.

The now-freed burgle sheet thrashed wildly, and while trying to bring the burgle under control (difficult, because they hoisted them loose-footed in those days) he received an eye-watering injury from the throak pole, when its nadge came loose.

He was able to dull the pain and sail back only by sitting on a sackful of dobbleys and ice, but from then on he was never as popular down at the Con Club during the Gentlemens' Excuse-Me.

I hope this hasn't devalued your Snurble grip-thribley, if it is a galvanised one.

Phosphor-bronze, of course.

I could not in clear conscience offer a galvanised grip-thribley, although my reasons are other than those stated in your post.

I do not believe that Snurble ever in fact manufactured these as galvanised items.

- N

[BTW, ' snurble grip-thribley ' now comes up on Google]

Of course it comes up on Google. From the number of responses it's the hottest item ever to be posted on this board.

Clearly there is a market out there. Specially at 2 +pp, what else can you get for your boat at that price?

rudolph_hart is offline Registered User

Oh, I dunno. I've got a whibble box I'd take a couple of quid for.

Old, but used only once, and properly rinsed out - otherwise it would be stained, as we all know.

Excoose me, but is your snurble metric or imperial? I ask because I have had problems sourcing a grip-thribley in Italy (let alone a Snurble one!!!), as they tend to be right-hand threaded and with the snatchor-tribble set the wrong way round the ribblet. This is a problem as when the wind get up, my rectit sphinctle loosens and makes a mess. I believe in Italian the grip-thribley is called the premi-cazzume; they tend to be rather flashy on Italian boats but sometimes snap under tension, hence my desire for a phosphor-bronze British one. I don't want any accidents.
    ad damnum pecuniae per navis

Default Post deleted by danfoley

Default Re: CE Compliant?

The grip-thribley in question was in use in the EEC prior to 1998 and therefore is exempt from RCD requirements. This could be confirmed by a simple carbon dating test, or by e-mailing a man I know.

Independent testing by another man I know has shown this type of grip-thribley to be Cat0 Ocean in all normal failure modes.

- Nick

Default Re: CE Compliant?

Carbon dating is a variety of radioactive dating which is applicable only to matter which was once living and presumed to be in equilibrium with the atmosphere, taking in carbon dioxide from the air for photosynthesis.

So, unless you are trying to sell one of Jimi's hats, not really a good way of end of life testing.

Suggest you try copper testing, in which case, Matt is your man