Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Does WD40 eat rubber ?

My brother has followed the advice of his boats builder and liberally coated the engine and its related parts with WD 40 applying a few squirts each time he uses the boat in order to keep everything in tip top order. The result is no rust and it all looks bright and in very good fettle.however the two front engine mount rubbers have completely perished and beyond what one would expect with age they have almost turned to crumbs whilst the back ones are fine. There hasn't been any diesel spillage onto the mounts so could it be the WD40.The clue seems to be that the back ones.beyond the reach of the spray are fine.any thoughts

VicMallows is offline Registered User

Default Re: Does WD40 eat rubber ?

How old is the engine installation? The back mounts do generally take a much heavier hammering than the front ones.

Vic

I tend not to spray with WD anymore. If the mounts have been saturated with the WD then yes it can detiorate natural rubber. How old are they and how often did he spray them?

For coorrosion protection I use Wurth wax chain lube for motorcycles. Its keeps the chain on my bike looking new and is safe on rubber as M/c chaines have rubber O rings in the links. One application will last longer than and application of WD

Bejasus is offline Registered User

agree with Baz, I use Tetroseal spray to do the same job. Used to be Finnegans Waxoyl.

Hydrocarbons will certainly attack natural rubber. Engine oil seals and o-rings are made of more exotic materials, such as Viton, in order to reset this effect. Don't know exactly what is in WD40, but it does seem to be the most likely explanation.

VicS is offline Registered User

According to the website WD40 is safe on rubber. The only materials which are mentioned as being affected are polycarbonate and clear polystyrene. However since it is a petoleum based product I would agree wth Alex Rogers and avoid contact with natural rubber.

I don't know whether it damages rubber in marine applications.

But, I was strongly advised against using it or 'squezy' when assembling new rubber jointed domestic toilet drainage pipes as, in the long term this will damage the rubber.

The thing to use is the silicon oil intended to lubricate the rubber joints when assembling soil pipes which is available at builders merchants (Wickes sell it).

I imagine this would not damage expensive 'marine' rubber.

Iain

Yes WD40 will eat rubber/rubber compounds, can't go into all the technicalities, don't know enough about that. However having had experience of the stuff since I first came across it in the late 60's I can say the following. It will destroy the above, including certain electrical insulating materials (HV spark plug leads). it will gunge up moving parts, it will form an insulating surface on low voltage contacts, giving trouble up to and including 110volt ac.
    It is however quite a good corrosion inhibitor for metals. It is also quite effective (if expensive) as a release agent for rusted up nuts and bolts etc.

gjeffery is offline Registered User

Back in 1980, I used WD40 on a Jaeger LeCoultre speedometer from a rather wet Landrover. Fortunately my attempts failed and I took the speedo for repair. The technician who fixed (at very modest cost) it told me not to use WD40 again, because it disdolves the paint.

Have found wd40 to be not much use for long term use, The best product that I have ever used is call Phospro but I cannot source it ( used a lot Deep-sea) the next is TF45 which contains Teflon, good for all uses and can be obtained in most Auto shops and does not attack rubbers, hope this info is of use.