Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

83 76.85%
  • No

25 23.15%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: Safety Without Radio

There is no more requirement to carry a radio than there is to have life jackets on board ...
    It is up to the individual to equip the boat to his/her own standards.
    Although you dont NEED a VHF, they can be very useful.

Radar - great bit of kit - wish I could afford one! Handy if you know how to use it properly - doesn't replace the VHF though

EPRIB - great again ... for emergency use only, will allow the emergency services to home in on you ... but they can't talk to you through it.

The 3km radio - unless this operates on the licence free channels then it does require a licence - to have and to operate - if it works on the free channels then is it really of any use?

Mobile phone - ok if you have a signal, but is one2one rather than one2many - ie only the person you phone can hear you.... and the helecopter/lifeboat won't find it easy to contact you by it, cannot home in on it (ok so you have an EPRIB) and is certainly not the preferred choice of contact method.

As I said in the other thread - having a VHF (not nessersarily DSC) also adds an element of safety to other craft around you - if you are monitoring Chl16 and could relay/render assistance when they are in trouble....

Mike_Martin is offline Registered User

Yep!! With it being a radio transmitter and all!
    Mike
    Gun for Hire!

Default Galloping paranoia

Gosh, the sea round our coasts must be a dangerous place, if we won't hop from creek to creek, or perhaps marina to marina, without a VHF jabbering and twittering away.

In my RNLI days I considered the VHF radio the best piece of safety equipment on board any vessel....
    With flares you depend on someone seeing them....with a liferaft you depend on someone knowing your in it!!

At least with a radio at the first hint of trouble you can advise the CG or any other vesseles in your vicinity that hopefully will respond to your predicament.

I have saved many hours in the past searching for lost vessels that have been able to comunicate with the lifeboat by homing in to their position with the VHF diection finding equipment that all RNLI lifeboats carry.

Good luck

Paul.
    Paul.

I am trying to envisage the scenario in which I might need to use a VHF.
    I just cant see it.
    If I am sailing along the coast I will use the mobile.
    If I am deap sea the VHF wont be of any use due to its limited range.
    I am not used to calling for help at the drop of a hat so therfore the only scenario I can invisage will be the worst case one in that case the epirb will do I dont seem to remember Tony Bulimore (spelling?) discussing his rescue with the Australian navy.
    I will install a satphone I think but this would also have to pass the usefullness test.
    more questions than answers

Again Satphone will need to be incased and number of relevant MRCC stored. If you are actually going Blue Water cruising that will be Falmouth.

Mike
    Gun for Hire!

Default Re: Galloping paranoia

Yes it is a dangerous place .... ask the coastguard ...

If you don't want to carry a VHF don't ... we can only tell you of our experiences and views...
    I hope you never have the need to use a VHF in an emergency. For the cost of buying one, doing a course (which I believe kicked off this whole thing!) and paying a licence each year I'm keeping mine.

Oh and by the way this is not a license issue that I think has been flogged to death. It is a safety issue about mordern technology (satelite coms etc) superceding old technology and the feeling of security a radio chattering away in the background gives people. Feeling safe and beeing safe are two different issues.
    more questions than answers

What do people get the weather forecasts on when at sea in the UK if they do not have VHF (assuming, of course, that they don't have Navtex or ssb as well)?

Carrying on in the same vein, knowledge of the weather forecast is an essential part of passage planning for a small vessel so as you are required to plan by law I assume you all get weather from somewhere whilst at sea?

John
    <span style="color:blue">www.sailroom.co.uk</span>

No fuss, I can see that!

However, ALL of the modern tech that you are looking at, precludes the option of contacting nearby shipping and relies on waiting for a response from shore-based SAR forces. So I feel the need to point that out!

Mike
    Gun for Hire!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast