Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Default Re: Come on guys & girls...fill-in your details!

I'll post a response once wales france match over <g>

Anonymous Guest

I tend to agree. If people give their boat type and approximate location - e.g. Moody 44, Hamble - then people have a better idea of how to reply to any questions they might post.

But it is a personal choice and I have a lot of sympathy for those who object to being googleable. It isn't only those with friendly motives who might want to google you, and it is impossible to become ungoogled.

I have no objection to forum members knowing who I am and any details etc, but I do'nt want non registered users to know. I had a bad experience with Ancasta when I posted details on a botch they made and ended up getting threatened with a libel action, not the sort of hassle one expects or wishes to have again.
    Jings, bit hot today innit!

Point is that anyone wanting to get hold of boat names and use google doesn't need to use a forum to do so, they're painted on the back of most boats!

VicMallows is online now Registered User

Jimi,

I find this a strange response from you. How does the fact that someone was registered or not make any difference in law? A libel has either occured or it hasn't.

Are you talking about the ease or otherwise of tracing the purpetrator?

Vic

Has there ever been a successful action for libellous statements made on the Internet?

There is always that most perfect defence to a libel action - "truth"! Provided one has reasonable evidence to back up what one says, and it is said accurately, there should be no problem. Doesn't stop companies threatening, of course.

Why are boat names important? You'd be amazed at the information people give away, that allows them to be identified, then their home address identified. Boat name is just a single identifier, and not a particularly important one.

To get it back onto track, we are on a forum, and talking about profile info. If you want to go watch boats in and out of harbours or marinas, that's fine, but this is about information provided on the forum that can enable you to be identified.

Loads. Also lots of cases about whether just the person making the statement is liable or also the "publisher" ie. IPC in the case of this forum.

I have several times been threatened by bogus/nefarious/useless internet traders after having a go at them in some sort of forum.
    I tend to reinforce my comments, publish the threats and give the name of my lawyer.
    Never subsequently heard anything.
    Not sure the comments need to be 'true' (whatever truth is) because I'm not convinced a comment on the Internet can be used as evidence. I accept that, for example, a valid bankers card transaction to buy some undesirable material would be pretty damning but you try and proove I originated this posting.
    ps this is getting too existential for me, off to drink wine.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast