Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Recomended Sailing school on the south coast.

I am looking to send my wife and son to do their Comp crew. I would welcome suggestions and any horror stories. You can PM me if you don't want to publish it in the forum.

Thanks.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Default Re: Recomended Sailing school on the south coast.

Hamble School of Yachting. http://www.hamble.co.uk (I think)

Mark

[ QUOTE ]
    Hamble School of Yachting. http://www.hamble.co.uk (I think)

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I contacted them but they would't take my son (13 years old) even though his mother will also take the course because other adults wouldn't want a child on board! They would only accept him during standard school half term week, his private school has an out of sync half term for the week of 11th June.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Hi Paul,

I'm Jon. The person that spoke to you from the Hamble School of Yachting about your son. I'm very sorry to hear that you feel I treated you badly with my response.

I would hope that you understand that I has to consider the feelings of everyone else that weould be on the boat at the same time. I appreciate that his mum would be with him, but sadly a lot of people would still be uncomfortable sailing with children on board.

As I explained on the phone, I would be more than happy to try and accomodate you during the summer holidays, which would coincide with other schools or I guess, if you were to here of another family in the same situation as yourself that want to bring a child sailing during the same week as your son is off during the May half term, then I would happily come to some arrangement.

If you would like to speak to me further on this matter, then feel free to contact me privately on 07881 786005.

Again, I have to say I'm very sorry to hear that you feel I treated you badly with my response, and hope that we could maybe sort something out.

I hope to hear from you soon,

Jon.

Default Planning to do competent crew

I'm hoping to book a five-day competent crew course for some time in April. Probably with Four Winds at Bucklers Hard - based on recommendations elsewhere on this forum.

Have previously done a two-day "experience" with SunSail which was fine but as I believe all their skippers are contract there's no telling who you mightv= get so I thought I'd try a smaller school.

If I do, I'll let everyone know how I got on.

Cheers,

. . Greg
    "Your mind is like a parachute, it only works when it is open." Frank Zappa

i could be wrong but i heard hamble school of yachting ceased trading?

No Helen, it went into temp liquidation, but Rob and Chris bought it out and are tradeing again.

I did the day skipper and coastal theory and practical (and offshore theory) with Jeff Golds and he is excellent and resonably priced too. He uses his own Halberg Rassy - and serves a memorable naughty breakfast. I would recommend Jeff every time. His number is on the RYA website. He is based at Port Solent

I did a course with Plain Sailing out of Brixham some time ago, most enjoyable and much more interesting sailing that the Solent (stops included Dartmouth, Plymouth and Salcombe)

http://www.plainsailing.co.uk/

kesey is offline Registered User

Southern Sailing in Southampton: http://www.southern.co.uk/

You can do a search in the forums here. You'll find that most people have enjoyed themselves and learnt a lot. My two sons and I had a great time with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast