Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Recomended Sailing school on the south coast.

Would give another vote for Hamble.

Did Ym with them in November, the food was the best I've knon from a sailing school and so much of it too.....

jonjo is offline Registered User

Default Re: Not Southern Sailing

If you search back 18 months you will find a sea school thread where I was a lone voice against the Southern Sailing School. My comments were prompted by a relative who spent an unhappy week aboard doing a competent crew course. The food was awful and the yacht was cramped and tatty.

A few other contributors to that thread agreed that SS would not be the right option for someone wanting a sailing holiday with competent crew training in the mix.

In general I think competent crew trainees get a bad deal on a mixed ability school yacht and some outfits dish CC certificates out like smarties.

alant is online now Registered User

I've worked for HSY, so could be biased, but agree about the food - they are also known as 'The Hamble School of Eating'.

As opposed to some schools who shall remain nameless (taking allocated rashers of bacon from the victuals when only 4 instead of 5 pupils turn up), HSY boats often return with more excess fodder than other schools start off with. Lets hope this 'give customers exactly what they want & have paid for' attitude continues.

Remember, when comparing schools on prices, make sure that there are no extras to be charged for - eg. wet weather gear, sleeping bags, mooring fees. Not all schools include them in the cover price.

You weren't the only one who thought Southern Sailing weren't all they were cracked up to be. I've had a moan in the past about the food at SSS which I thought was awful. I also thought the instructor had a bit of an intimidating manner about him and the two competent crew didn't really get a good deal.

I've got mixed feelings here, I did my DaySkipper and Coastal Skipper with Sunsail, thoroughly enjoyed it, learnt a lot and could'nt criticise. However my wife and eldest daughter also did a sailing course with them , where the skipper got wrecked and disappeared with a mate on the first evening and did'nt emerge from his pit until miday the following day. That course was not a success. I did my YM with SS with 2 other YM candidates and a CS candidate, Of the 2 YM candidates 1 had blagged it onto the course and ended up with a CC certificate, another scraped a CS and the CS candidate was almost YM standard. The range of abilities rendered the course less than enjoyable for me cos we ended up teaching one guy how to tie bowlines and suchlike rather than practising complicated fings. Had the course members been all of similar standard where you're learning from peers as well as the instructor I'd have felt a lot happier. In the end the training from instructor on the Sunsail CS course was far superior to that of SS. I've concluded its really just a matter of luck firstly on who happens to be fellow course members and a long way second who your instructor happens to be... but training on a manky old boat helps co you do'nt feel guilty when you run it aground or have a robust berthing up!
    Jings, bit hot today innit!

[ QUOTE ]
    Would give another vote for Hamble.

Did Ym with them in November, the food was the best I've knon from a sailing school and so much of it too.....

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a shame that they have such a bad attitude rearding my 13 year old son, because you all seem to praise them.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

alant is online now Registered User

<they have such a bad attitude rearding my 13 year old son>

If this is the true reason & they have had specific feedback, surely they are showing consideration to other clients wishes, so why is this a bad attitude?

Possibly the strict regulations concerning teaching of children might be a consideration, even if parents are involved. If HSY or any S/School thought they could do make a profit out of doing so, they would be already doing it.

You want your son to learn to sail, so why not start him off in dinghies, which would certainly be beneficial, more fun for him & take away any physical shortfalls he (as a 13 yr old) might have working a 'big' boat.

Have you considered chartering the entire boat as a family & get tuition together, without the complications of strangers/objectors.

I did my Day Skipper with Southern Sailing last year based on recommendations from this forum and others. Since I have not done any other similar courses it is difficult to compare but the boat was indeed very tatty and the food dreadful. Sharing a boat with four other strange blokes whose bodily emissions at night made for an explosive atmosphere was not something that I would choose to do again.

However, having accepted that I once again had to live as I had done in my impoverished student days many years ago it was quite fun (the weather was also good and we could escape to the pub on occassion).

Although the instructor was qualified he did not have extensive experience but, as most of the participants could already sail, had done the theory, were most interested in leaning how to handle the boat under power and do some practical navigation we got what we wanted out of the course. The instructor was quite strict and taught how things should be done correctly rather than what you might do in practice, he was also very diligent. He claimed that this is what Southern Sailing required of all their instructors. As they use a large number of instructors on a sub-contract basis and it is therefore pot-luck who you will get, having a consistent teaching methodology that works is important.

On the basis of my expereince I would recommend Southern Sailing if you want to be taught properly and do not mind roughing it (alot). If you want a comfortable holiday then go somewhere else.

Hi Paul,

I'm Jon. The person that spoke to you from the Hamble School of Yachting about your son. I'm very sorry to hear that you feel I treated you badly with my response.

I would hope that you understand that I has to consider the feelings of everyone else that weould be on the boat at the same time. I appreciate that his mum would be with him, but sadly a lot of people would still be uncomfortable sailing with children on board.

As I explained on the phone, I would be more than happy to try and accomodate you during the summer holidays, which would coincide with other schools or I guess, if you were to here of another family in the same situation as yourself that want to bring a child sailing during the same week as your son is off during the May half term, then I would happily come to some arrangement.

If you would like to speak to me further on this matter, then feel free to contact me privately on 07881 786005.

Again, I have to say I'm very sorry to hear that you feel I treated you badly with my response, and hope that we could maybe sort something out.

I hope to hear from you soon,

Jon.

Default Planning to do competent crew

I'm hoping to book a five-day competent crew course for some time in April. Probably with Four Winds at Bucklers Hard - based on recommendations elsewhere on this forum.

Have previously done a two-day "experience" with SunSail which was fine but as I believe all their skippers are contract there's no telling who you mightv= get so I thought I'd try a smaller school.

If I do, I'll let everyone know how I got on.

Cheers,

. . Greg
    "Your mind is like a parachute, it only works when it is open." Frank Zappa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12