Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: navigator 4.5

Default navigator 4.5

Has anyone used the NAVIGATOR 4.5 program from Brazil.It looks very impressive. A bit like SEACLEAR 11.
    http://www.tecepe.com.br/nav/navpro.htm
    To discover new horizons, you must lose sight of land

Default Re: navigator 4.5 - like seaclear ????

Sorry after checking the site and reading through - the chart range and formats is extremely limited. It seems to only import graphics .....

OK - in full version it has astro as well as charting .... but then Seaclear is FREE, this Nav 4.5 is not.

Seaclear wins I feel ....

Default Re: navigator 4.5 - like seaclear ????

Yes I know that SEACLEAR is free, but they both work the same, scanning and importing your oun charts. I still havn't worked out how SEACLEAR works.
    The way they others are going with no same standard, and opdating from day to day, one would be a fool to invest in such system...

steverow is offline Registered User

Default Re: navigator 4.5

Yes it looks very good at first glance, I like the idea of making vector charts from raster screens.
    It's celestial navigation tools seem well developed, and therefore is going to suit blue water guys very well.
    However, it's NMEA features seem extremely limited, I could not find mention of any NMEA output facilities for autopilot for instance.
    Anyway I'm downloading it to have a good look.
    I would have to say that it's got some way to go to compete with Seaclear, which is now highly developed, even to the extent of having an integrated AIS system.

Steve.

Default Re: navigator 4.5

The trail version is a very early one and not the same at all.
    Navigator was made for people using sextant, not gps, but it can be used. Any program that dosn't tie you to one system has to be better.

Default Seaclear uses many formats

Seaclear will use BSB / KAP and various other chart formats in addition to scanned. Nav 4.5 only uses limited graphic scanned formats ....

As to using Seaclear .... its one of the easiest to use ..... The manual included with the installation is straight forward without high tech language.

To import any chart into Seaclear you use the companion program Mapcalc ..... once directorys and charts are imported .... then use Seaclear charting program.

It is grossly unfair to comment on a program if you haven't read the manual and followed its direct and simple steps.

I have Seaclear on my notebook and from day one have had no trouble at all - except where some bsb charts were displaced geographically - but that was a fault in the bsb charts and not seaclear.

Honest - read the manual, mapcalc import your charts and I know you will then find a different story.
    [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Default Tied to one system ????

Nav 4.5 ties you to scanned charts only. Ok so it has astro and calculation routines ... but lets look at whats missing :

Proprietary chart format use (BSB, NOS, GEO, MAP etc)
    AIS display
    NMEA in / out full data flow
    Waypoint upload / download
    Autopilot control

I thinks thats enough to get on with. BUT Seaclear gives you the above and its free !!! Note that I am not connected to Seaclear in any way - I am just a very satisfied user.

As to Astro and tides etc. - there are many programs on Web that can be downloaded to cover all the rest you need.

Of course join the GPS Nav Group and over 1100 members worldwide will answerr almost all there is to think about - including commercial charting companys ....

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gps-navigator/

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Default Re: Tied to one system ????

On the Seaclear subject, can I get the charts scaned by someone else or do I need to do my own? I have Imray for the whole of the SE Britain and the Solent pack.
    We wunt be druv!

I read the note and still cant get a chart to disply with my seaclear? I think the only way ill ever manage is to go along to smeone else that uses and understands sea clear.

In theory sea clears wonderful! Ive been trying for months and have even got cmaps which wont open at all not easy if you havent got some one to advise you

I had the same problem, the scanned chart has to be converted to another file format. That part of it was hard to fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast