Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Should the no1 battery also be a deep cycle battery?

Setting apart the cranking battery question (we use a car battery to start the engines, whether it is the right thing to do or not) I'm surprised there appears to have been no mention of golfcart batteries, unless I missed something. These 6 volt batteries are small enough to make lifting and stowing a doddle and you can team them up to make a 12 or 24 volt supply. In the USA it is generally accepted by a lot of cruisers that you get the best value for money out of them, as service batteries and we are certainly happy as larry with ours. It figures that if they will put up with the golf cart business they must be pretty sturdy and they are certainly less expensive on that side of the Atlantic than their counterparts in the marine world. Maybe they are more expensive in Europe? I wouldn't know but, if they are not, I would certainly recommend taking them into consideration. Cheers!

Default Re: Should the no1 battery also be a deep cycle battery?

Its the way you use them. After employing differentiated batteries i'm now going to install two identical leisure batteries, why? It goes like this, leave the moorings on engine, after ten minutes switch off, but leave battery selector on No1 since I want to recharge it. Sail all day, pick a nice anchorage for the night, sail out the following morning switch on the engine back in the moorings (another 10 minute charge). Outcome the starter battery has been insuffiently recharged an the aux battery not at all. Now with twin leisure batteries start the engine on "both" , down in the anchorage switch to either one or two (not both) to maintain emergency back-up.

Hope we get the kind of Summer we can do that sor t of thing

Best wishes.