View Poll Results: 11-12 knots

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 100.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Survey on effect of deregulation of Red diesel

Please add some details to your bio. Don't want to give misleading replies that might be "interpreted" by some apparatchik as meaning "boaters want to pay more for fuel".
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

Sorry Andrew,

I'm really not sure what your driving at...

I don't want to give too much detail on my bio for the reasons discussed in other threads, but I'm happy to confirm that I'm a UK resident with a big-ish twin diesel motor boat kept in UK waters, and that I do at least a couple of thousand miles on her every year.

I am very strongly opposed to the end of the Red Diesel derogation, as it has potential to cause enormous damage to the UK boating industry and could see motor boat owners paying huge additional sums in tax. Whilst these sums would be very significant to the boat owner, they would be a drop in the ocean to the exchequer (if you'll forgive the pun).

I am similarly opposed to some of the very low quality 'research' coming out of UK universities at present, of which I believe we see an example above.
    Sailing... The Classic way...

Classic Plastic

My bad, meant the studenty fellow, where is he from etc. I'm in agreement with you, especially the research comment.

The poll has been linked from other boat boards I see.

Thanks for the clarification, Andrew. I was confused by the [Re: ClassicPlastic] in the header.

Student, perhaps you'd like to let us know which Polytechnic - sorry - University, and Department, etc..?

By the way, partly influenced by the possible end of derogation, I'm taking a tentative step into sailing, and have bought a pocket cruiser/racer... If I get to like boating under sail, I might give up the mobo, and move to a decent cruiser.

Default Re: Thank you

Dear Clasic_one

Thank you very much for the information about the BMF. I shall be sure to follow that up. It is nice to here a supportive suggestion and is very much appreciated.

Thank you again sir for your help.

Best Wishes
    Student

Student,

Sorry, but if we don't get some answers about your sponsor, I'll be speaking to a couple of Chancellors I know about your research and the pertinent protocols.

Go on, show yourself!

...by the way, any of us can spoof the survey by making multiple responses.

Get thee behind me Satan...

:-)

After all, HM Govt do the same, and pass laws based on it!

Having completed your survey, I was wondering what your null hypothesis for this reasearch is, and have you performed a power calculation to assertain the responder numbers required to ensure statistaical validity and hence give a power greater than 0.8?
    Additionally, what level of qualification is this being carried out for it seems a bit scanty for a dissertation.
    Just my 2p worth
    Stuart Sheppard PhD

Anonymous Guest

Totally agree with all you say in your posts in this thread to date. While I don't use a huge amount of fuel (we try to sail whenever possible) I cannot see that it is fair or sensible to impose a road fuel levy on a non-road activity, quite aside from all the usual arguments.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast