Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default seeking home port - suggestions

Hey guys,
    we got our selve's a little boat, we're getting kitted out and we are looking for somewhere to base ourselve's. The original plan was to go to the Medway but for various reasons we have flip flopped and are hoping to go south coast, but we are not sure where.
    My intention is to gradually warm up my son into life afloat, shwmbo wants marina life, I want to be able to explore interesting nooks and crannies where we can drop the hook and live the huckleberry fin style for the weekend, the boat draws 3'3'' - fin.
    We dont really want to get involved in a club society or politic's, (reason for not being in Medway) we certainly would'nt object to sharing in club duties 'tho, somewhere 'fairly' sheltered within reasonable range of Londinium. Suggestions anyone?
    Thanks guys.

DavidofMersea is offline Registered User

Default Re: seeking home port - suggestions

The South Coast will cost you an arm and a leg, what about the East Coast? 3' 3" draft, no problem
    I respect my elders, but I can't find many now

where do you suggest, anywhere in particular.

Burnham? Bradwell?

Try Bridgemarsh Island on the Crouch if you need a pontoon. Reasonable and nice people. River for an hour, then out to sea. Mainline station from London, 45 mins by road.
    I am on swinging mooring on Crouch. Very nice. But its a wide ditch sometimes.....

River Blackwater is the nicest part of the E Coast, IMHO.
    FREE software - 12/24V security via a browser - http://www.skippersmate.co.uk

Try Chichester harbour if you like the south coast. Check http://www.conservancy.co.uk for moorings or one of the smaller marinas around Emsworth for a pontoon berth. Agree large Marinas in Solent area prohibitive

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey guys,
    we got our selve's a little boat, we're getting kitted out and we are looking for somewhere to base ourselve's. The original plan was to go to the Medway but for various reasons we have flip flopped and are hoping to go south coast, but we are not sure where.
    My intention is to gradually warm up my son into life afloat, shwmbo wants marina life, I want to be able to explore interesting nooks and crannies where we can drop the hook and live the huckleberry fin style for the weekend, the boat draws 3'3'' - fin.
    We dont really want to get involved in a club society or politic's, (reason for not being in Medway) we certainly would'nt object to sharing in club duties 'tho, somewhere 'fairly' sheltered within reasonable range of Londinium. Suggestions anyone?
    Thanks guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

try http://www.wicormarine.co.uk/

I think Nick ("Castaway") would approve my recomendation of this family run boatyard and moorings.

(Solent, Situated in Fareham lake, a couple of miles from the harbour entrance) and offer "swinging moorings, pile moorings and pontoon moorings, winter storage, undercover storage, wooden and GRP boat repairs, marine engineering, rigging, yacht painting, second hand boat sales and a well-stocked chandlery"
    remember....
    "common sense 'aint so common"

[ QUOTE ]
    River Blackwater is the nicest part of the E Coast, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bin to Su [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]ffolk yet then ????. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
    I may be wrong but not always

tcm is offline Registered User

the nearest moderately decent marina to london is Port Solent- blam down the A3 and near the end of the A3 - that's port solent, or porto solente as it's known elsewhere. Of course, relative to most western med marinas, it's between rubbish and okish, but that doen't stop the operating company calling itself "premier marinas".

The restaurants are okish in a pizza/mexican 7.99 sort of way. Main problem with port solent is that everywhere else on the solent is even worse. National govt and local councils seem not to recognise the huge value of helping developments in this area. Also, since we haven't has decent revolution in the uk, lots of private nerks own whole tracts of land (eg lord montagu at Beaulieu) so it's all just fixed up enough to charge you 35 quid a night, but still a bit ****.