49. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Wife

10 20.41%
  • The Boat

39 79.59%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Jobs_a_ good_ un is offline Registered User

Default Crossing the channel 1st time wed 25th may bit nervous

Think of me wed nxt week 8.00am nab tower to le harve Ist time ever (weather permitting)
    Ill be ok wont I ?????????????????????
    “Fortitudo et Honor”
    http://blog.mailasail.com/cafeseerose[/url]

Default Re: Crossing the channel 1st time wed 25th may bit nervous

If the weather is good you'll be fine.

The only thing to worry about is getting a bit bored going over.

Have a good time.
    Electra

mainshiptom is offline Registered User

You will be fine, It is a nice feeling when you get to a bar on the other side and order a beer !

How long is your crossing?

Have a great time

tom

mikef is offline Registered User

Just remember the soft bits in the middle are never a problem, its the hard bits at either end that hurt

tcm is offline Registered User

yes, i think you will be.

But i am always a bit hm iffy with people saying "leaving 8am" cos it mite be better earlier better, no? I wd always try and leave early as poss in near-daylight - or wait til 8am, or 9am or 10 am or whatever. Setting a departure time is a nono - setting an *earliest* departure time is fine tho.

Lehavre is er about 85 nm SE ish and and hence a bit upchannel from the nab, the prevailing winds from SW to W - on the beam. Yiou needto leave nab at start of general upchannel tidal flow. Is that 8am? That means leave an hour or more earlier from solent port.

so first bit you will be protected behind isle of wight and winds likely is SW sooo, head hard south not direct to lehavre if wind is f4 or more in sw . Don't waste the chance to get south if it's flattish.

Further out, sea conditions might get a bit bigger, not too bad, so then turn upchannel to have wind more on the stern, and "nip" the waves to the south: you would end up north of le havre really if continued on this new course.

Soon, with a bit more south, you will be levellish with the cherbourg (cotentin) peninsular and the sea drops. (not: generally, lovely long warm beaches with nice outdoor restaurants on the french coast whereas ooer cripes on windward uk side of channel) Anyway, so here you run due southwds along the coast in flatter sea.

With diffrent wind, obviously adjust. So with e-ly wind go south or even SW towards st vaast and then sneaky east when sea improves in Baie de Seine.

Having sed all this - whatever the weather, have a look back to stern and ask yerself - really, is this boat in any diffuiclty? And usually the answer is no - it's just humans used to fab houses who have a prob. feeling dodgy...

Main point is there only one Main Point - the wpt fro out entrance and it doesn't matter how you get there. It is rare that a direct route in planing boat is comfiest for a long run offshore. Apart from the wpt to the outer entrance (whih you have gotta hit, regardless) - any other waypoints are just forcing you down a route that yep is direct but for the boat and conditions may not be comfiest. And on mobo's of course, comfiness is next to godliness!

good luck!

Jobs_a_ good_ un is offline Registered User

Hi tide is at 11.03 am so I will set off as early as poss maybe
    5.00 am this I presume will take me with the tide towards le harve as the tide comes in up the channel towards dover and out the other way revs are now sorted so I hope to cruise at 18-20 knots 82 miles from nab tower to le harve tide will be on neaps What do you reckon
    Yours Truly Riff Raff
    “Fortitudo et Honor”
    http://blog.mailasail.com/cafeseerose[/url]

Default damn! he has used my trick of getting others to do the planning

It's springs next week matey poops! press the 14 day tide timetable above and it's biggest on thursday so weds is biggish really and the big number on the tidal atlas apply. Good news is that the wind from windguru forcast 2-3 sw which is fine. But sea could be moderate.

hi tide dover weds am is 00:16 bst, so slack at the nab from earliest 5.5 hours ( ie six on the tiodal atlas) later means earliest 5.45 am bst, make it 6:15bst and the outflow from the solent will take you there from dawn.

The tide will pull you west upchannel at least 3nm each hour so that's 16 miles sideways from target out of about 80 miles so er er each mile is 2/3 degree so best (fastest route) to head at least 11 degrees MORE than gps shows to the entrance waypoint, perhaps best 15 degrees with wind leeway blah but lessthan 20 degrees more. No chance of this being held with shipping lanes - straighten up due south over them, then find brng to that le havree entrance waypoint and evebn if flat water - head off again 10degrees morte than than that bearing shows if halfway etc. Sounds mad but it works: If you don't hold course 15ish degrees more than the brng to lehavre ent shows from nab, then at the end you will be fighting south along the coast and across the tide to stay offshore and take longer - you should be able to stay with wind near stern, not on beam. in other words, use the apilot to hold a course, but don't "track" or "goto" a waypoint cos the numptie puter will head off in that direction and oops correct as get dragged with tide and oops correct again, and all much further. Correcting south (other than for dire wind conditons as prev post) along that fr coast should not be needed - unles you obey the gps target bearing from the start, so don't

High tide, where? As tcm says, much more important to time departure with wind and tide in same direction rather than against for as much of the crossing as possible unless the wind is very light (less than F3). Its not necessary to arrive at Le Havre at HW or anywhere near as I'm pretty sure the marina is all tides access and any tidal flow as you get near Le Havre will not help or hinder you much. Neaps is good though

Default Re: damn! he has used my trick of getting others to do the planning

Do you mean EAST upchannel? If HW Dover @ 0016 then LW is about 0600 and east going up Channel flow starts about then. So, if wind is SW, looks like 0500 depart Chichester, 0600 off Nab, Le Havre by 1100. If wind has any east in it, then wait for tide to turn at about 1230 off Nab
    Good point about being pushed sideways but if he's on autopilot linked to GPS, the pilot will keep him on track and in any case he should be watching the XTE

Default yes re east upchannel : no, re autopilot

oops yes east upchannel of course

autopilot linked to gps er no - that's exactly what i don';t mean: he'll get there, but twill take a lot longer. The linked apilot will initially head off directly to lehavre but tide will mean he gets pulled to the left hand side of the track and twil correct and correct again, and again, and again - loads of little corrections across the track all the way along means he will travel mich further to le havre than any 82 miles.

Much better in big tide to look at the bearing from nab, and set off more southwards from the styart and NOT press any "goto" things - just press "auto" to hold the bearing - he will then do (say) 75nm in that direction and the tide will draggim the rest free of charge. Last little bit he will come more and more in line with direct route and of course "goto" the ent wpt from there.