Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    SimonJ is offline Registered User
    Location : Returned to Caribbean for the winter, back to uk for the 'summer'

Default Saving your batteries - anyone have experience of using LED lamps in t

Using a tricolour nav light for 12 hours each night in the tropics (25w at 12v) takes a big whack out of your batteries. I understand LED lamps are just becoming available and they use milliamps and are said to last longer. I have found one US source, has anyone had experience using/obtaining them in UK?
    SimonJ

Default Re: Saving your batteries - anyone have experience of using LED lamps in t

Yes I have seen them advertised but can find it again (in YM I think) but do remember them being nearly 200!!

Default Re: Saving your batteries - anyone have experience of using LED lamps in t

a suggestion: the previous owner of my boat came up with a scheme to conserve electricity while anchored (might be adaptable to your requirement). He took a 12 volt bulb from a car (brakelight, turn signal etc.) and put the bulb (with socket..etc) in a salt shaker (one of those salt shakers with serrated sides, this acts as a fresnal lens and amplifies the light). Sounds different but when I tried it, I was really surprised at the amount of light it puts out and being a small bulb, it didn't draw that much current.
    The only easy day was yesterday

You might try this link
    http://www.goldmine-elec.com/default.htm, 200 seems excessively excessive for an LED
    The only easy day was yesterday

Default Re: Saving your batteries - anyone have experience of using LED lamps

A brake lamp in the UK is 12V 21W, so really no saving in power. LEDs are definately the way to go. Problem is they are highly directional (narrow beam). There is a lot of development in this field at present, so you shouldn't have to wait much longer for a solution.

Meanwhile, I've heard that the solar powered lights that are used to light up the garden can be used to good effect as anchor lights, and they can be had for less than 5 GBP now. Having an independant power supply means that they won't flatten your house batteries either.

Lahara is offline Registered User

Hi SimonJ

Here's another option: I made the decision to go all-LED when I overhauled the electrics on my boat last year. I used white truck reversing lights, available as an add-on fitting. There are four LEDs in this fitting, which is already sealed water proof, is fitted with 12v circuitry, and has the light diffused by a lense. I found three of these fitted into my existing masthead red/green/white lense, three fitted into the masthead all round white, and one was used as the steaming light. They were about AU$30 each, making it $210 for the mast lights alone. This is more expensive than 'normal' lights but I hope not to have to replace them over the next 10 years, they draw hardly any current, and they are by far the brightest lights in the anchorage.

Highly relevant + frustrating post on optolamp - bit like having a bottle of Burgundy but no corkscrew.
    Nowhere on the site does it mention price or distributors.
    I've emailed them + will post any answers - unless I've managed to miss something on the website.

bobfrost is offline Registered User

This must be about the third time I've read threads like this.

This would suggest that there is definitely an interest in the subject and it really is time that one of the yachting magazines actually researched a definitive article on the subject.

There would appear to be some rather expensive masthead lights from the USA with various coloured LEDs and a rather nice solar cell driven LED anchor light.

IMHO there is a gap in the market for a straight forward replacement 'bulb' consisting of a cluster of LEDs.

The latter would seem to be fulfilled by http://www.firststarled.com/ which will set you back about 50. This still begs the question why is someone in the UK not knocking these out at a fraction of the price and why are they not for sale at every swindlery in the UK.

My son keeps on saying that there is nothing to soldering LEDs onto a bulb base etc (he's doing Physics at Imperial so presumably is not talking b******s) but never quite gets round to coming up with the goods. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    Rum, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

how about a solar tri colour for mast top,no wireing how cool would that be?