Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Saving your batteries - anyone have experience of using LED lamps in t

some very nice well engineered,but expensive,marine led navigation and anchor lights here
    http://www.gaelforce.net/megastore/m...h.asp?yep=2535

Default Re: Saving your batteries - anyone have experience of using LED lamps in t

Sorry Drowning,

The distributor for Europe is:

FRANCE: SARL ATTITUDE
    5 RUE FERREOL PREZELIN
    44 560 PAIMBOEUF
    Tel: 33(0)240 276 079
    Fax: 33(0)240 277 435
    E-mail: sarl.attitude@wanadoo.fr

I have been using Led lamps from them but not the Tri mast one.. so I have no experience of it.. but at least I'm fully satisfied from the lamps I have..

Lahara is offline Registered User

Default Re: Saving your batteries - anyone have experience of using LED lamps

Hi Bob

The type of replacement LED bulb you describe has been available in Australia for at least the last 18 months at around $22 each. It consists of 9 white LEDs fitted onto the normal bayonet fitting (either straight pin or staggered pin). You simply unclick the old incandescent bulb and replace with the LED bulb. I've hunted for a picture of it on the Internet but can't find one. However, it is listed at:

http://www.glascraftmarine.com.au/Pr...rch=LED%20bulb

bobfrost is offline Registered User

Thanks Lahara

By my estimation that is under 10 (which is better than the c.50 from the USA).

So why are UK chandlers not full of them? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Rum, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

Those are not replacements for nav light bulbs though are they?

John.
    <span style="color:blue">www.sailroom.co.uk</span>

Hello Ships Cat

No, they are suitable mostly for reading or spot lights. I have used LEDs for area lighting in the galley but that is a mostly white area so I get lots of light bounce.

(It's rather a convoluted process but for a pic of the lights in my galley, do the following :

1. Go to: http://www.hisse-et-oh.com/forum/ind...58&amp;tab=48h
    [My boat is French-built and this is a French site]

2. Find 'Lahara' written in bolded blue ( <font color="blue"> </font> ) and double click this word to display my account.

3. Select 'Album' and go to the ninth photo down. You can see two of the flush-fitted LEDs lamps underneath the overhang. There are another two on the other side, out of view).

As I mentioned in my earlier posting in this thread, for navigation lights, I used truck reversing lights, which are very bright though the light they emit has a different quality to it. Because they don't have the yellow of normal incandescents, they seem colder. If you can get to any of those places selling spares and accessories for trucks (i.e. lorries), it may be worth while having a look to see what they have.

Regards Stuart Hawthorne

Hello Ships Cat again

I should have made it clear that the LEDs I used in my galley are not the nine-diode replacement globe previously mentioned but another 3-diode LED lamp, a picture of which is here:

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_it...AbsolutePage=1

Thanks for the info on optolamp distributors.
    There are some LED based boaty lights appearing in the swindlers in St Martin but no masthead lights.
    Apart from the low consumption the chance to say goodbye to shimmying up the mast to change bulbs is a good thing for us old crocks.

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_i...roducts_id=884

looks interesting...annoying seem only to be able to order the white all round lights in quantities of 10 !! but other interesting bulbs including cheap "festoon" type in the "Boat / Caravan Yacht 12V Leds " section.

Anonymous Guest

No, he's not talking bol****ks but show him the spec of the light output and all round viz of a tricolour. LEDs can give very intense beams but the total power output is still fairly small compared with tungstens. The other problem is that intensity varies enormously between LEDs from the same batch so a lot of testing of individual LEDs is required to get the best of them. Very expensive for a manufacturer who has to sell off the 80% that don't meet his spec.!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast