Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: raggies

Default Re: Rule 9b

Sorry, not trolling at all. But unlike some I do not claim my knowledge is infinite as others seem to claim for themselves and assume for others when it comes to the safety of the waters around them.

In the example I gave, I would not deviate out of the channel unless I knew it to be safe to do so. In the example, I do not know that.

I always give power boats and others the right to proceed unimpeded under power up a channel just as if it was a road. And I am not arrogant enough to expect others to have the same understanding of the waters outside of the channel as I may or may not have or force my own judgements about the safe management of their boats upon them.

Your attitude smacks of those who have no time on the roads for people who may not be as familiar with your own hometown roads as you are yourself - "Get out of my way you ******, don't you know where you are going" perhaps?

John
    <span style="color:blue">www.sailroom.co.uk</span>

hlb is offline Registered User

To be fair to him. I dont think he's ever been anywhere, or done anything much. Hence the attitude! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But then possibly you have missed the point somewhat of what I think is the main anoyance of MoBoers and small dinghys in "channels" and that is in fact with the trainers or organisers of small dinghy "fleets" that insist on holding such events right across very busy fairways without it seems any thought for other water users.

I am sad to report that my two sons recently took an interest in learning at least the rudiments of sailing so as to enjoy the use of a small Windglider we had purchased and to understand more the limitations of sail. Having raced Merlin Rockets for many years as a lad I was keen for them to take training. We booked them in at a local club on a local river to our mooring and one of the first things they were told was "power gives way to sail". Both lads having attained PB level 2 tried as best they could to educate the educator as to certain times this was not always so but to no avail, quote " No, sorry, simple rule, power gives way to sail". Result 6 other students believe no matter what "power gives way to sail", 2 students (ours) don't complete course?? Also I suspect a modicum of "stuff you, raggie" is now to be overcome by us, they are still only teenagers after all ??

To anyone sad enough to see me farting around on the windglider this weekend trying to rekindle their interet, I sincerely apologise, like a walrus on a lilo!! . (booming good fun though!!!) Paul

tcm is offline Registered User

high time you booked yourself onto a winter sailing hol to the bvi, paul. Enuf wind so its like having an engine, plus of course, ahem, you have an engine. Your kids are exactly the right age to help out too.

In reality and bringing things to the presant day. Power only gives way to sail in wide expances of sea. Where it really dont matter much and is not so much a case of giving way but much more of a curtisy. Many harbours these days do not allow sailing within there chanels. For good reason. Most of the time we are quite happy to put up with the prats tacking hither and thither across a chanel. But most of the time it's them out of order. Could write reams on coming out of Falmouth or Salcombe on one engine, having been turned in the right direction by the marina tug. Only to be met by some twerp, about ten years old who wants to set off under my bows, in an unknown direction and thinks he's got right of way!! Having sailed yachts and dinghys I'm astounded at there either unwillingness or stupidity. They turn easyly, emmediatly. This might not have been true in the days of the old four masted schooner. But it's time they got real. It's simple to just go the other way!

Having sailed dinghies in Salcombe, the biggest problem is that raggies and mobos alike don't realise how nimble they are. The number of times a boat has suddenly come to a standstill, while we were planning on tacking inside him is legion.

Problem is, you can't tell what another boat is planning on doing? There are no univeral signals.

There are no universal signals

Remember overhearing while in one port where the entrance was narrow and a pilot was bringing a ship in. He called port control to advise his position and to check if there were any other movements in the port. They responded along the lines that there were alot of small yachts throughout the harbour but to just sound the horn to shoo them all out of the way.

John
    <span style="color:blue">www.sailroom.co.uk</span>

Pilot on a tanker did that, and lost me a race! Still smarting! GFrrrrr!

Tried all of that. One engine, nearly no stearage. little boys shouted up from there tiny dinghy...Power gives way to sail!!

Yes Salcolmbe!

Don't you start Matt, she's already got her teeth into a "little break in the BVI's, You'd really enjoy it too, 'cos you can charter bare boat!" Even get the monthly e mail updates from Virgin Traders. Just too long on a flight, too expensive and not the right commercial timing, but I will do it. You're right about the lads ythough, but that adds extra costs as serious "Girls" have just appeared on the radar!! Would want a month to really chill though, I think? Do you recommend?? Paul

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast