Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How fast to water ski?

I have a yacht but the kids wakeboard and I am wondering whether to buy a speed boat/rib/dory for their entertainment. Kids are 24, 22 ands 18 so with some proper instruction I will be able to leave them to it. How fast does a boat have to go in order to water ski and which is best a speed boat, rib or dory. I do not want an inboard engine and would prefer a dory if it will do the job. Thanks. Paul

Wiggo is offline Registered User

Default Re: How fast to water ski?

Can't answer the 'best boat' question directly, but... Wakeboarding needs a tow of about 15-20mph, two skis about 25mph, monoski at 25-30mph depending on how good/serious you are. If you want to barefoot, I think 35mph is the minimum.

Now the boat bit: the heavier the better (sort of), as a small light boat will get pulled all over the place by a good skier. The competition skiboats are all big V8 petrol and shaft drive, and very shallow V to create the 'perfect' wake, but the will be complete pants at sea.

Reallistically, most folks we've seen skiing at sea are in 15-20' boats, with 70-150 or more horsepower on tap. A 17' RIB with a 125 on the back would do the job nicely.
    The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, and is not preceded by a period of worry and doubt.
    <span style="color:blue">
    http://www.nereid-charter.com
    </span>

Talbot is offline Registered User

I have seen someone waterskiing behind a 2000+ ton ship (Type 21 frigate) so reckon that that is probably the top end of weight/size category - USS Nimitz has the speed, but not quite the acceleration to achieve good watersking, though the thought of climbing her wake when doing over 35+ knots would be a tad breathtaking [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The standard 13 ft dory with a 40 hp engine is only just man enough a single waterskier, and you need to be experienced to get up on the skis. Some of the bigger jetskis are a better bet for this, remembering that there needs to be somebody in the boat at all times keeping an eye on the skier.
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
    Robert A Heinlein

your 25hp didn't do too bad.... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rick

I've seen wake boarding behind a yacht, with the line taken to the mast head,did'nt half get some speed up crossing the stern.

Questor is offline Registered User

I seem to remember Mrs. Wiggo wakeboarding behind your old tender with just an "8" on it.

Wiggo is offline Registered User

yes, but she reckoned that was the hardest start she'd ever done, and was permanently sinking on the board. But, as Rick's pic showed, she can board very easily behind the Rhino (10ft RIB with a 25hp lump). We reckon it will be fine to teach the kids to ski, but doubt it would handle a deep water start on a mono. An adult on two skis might just be possible, as long as a) they're good, and b) they're not too heavy.
    The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, and is not preceded by a period of worry and doubt.
    <span style="color:blue">
    http://www.nereid-charter.com
    </span>

peterandjeanette is offline Registered User

Following the recent decision to reduce speed on Windemere it has been shown that water skiing can take place at 10 knots. Only draw back - the ski was about 30 feet long.

I last saw the ski in Shepherds of Windemere!
    Be reasonable - see things my way.

My choice for safety would certainly be a rib. At their age they ain't littluns anymore. So..15-17 foot with 60+HP will do the trick. You can water ski at quite low speeds, approx 15kn, or more if you want. The trick to good skiing however isn't speed, its acceleration. If the boat will do 30kn, then thats fast enough. Its the haul out that you want. Fit a propellor guard as well for safety. (Proprotector, I think its called).

BTW - with regard to technique...Most people plonk themselves in the water and place the rope, handle and two arms between their legs - splayed out like a duck! All this results in is a wall of water rushing up their chest and two arms wrenched out of their sockets!. Try keeping the skis together with just the rope going in between and two arms on the outside of the legs, keeping the arms reasonably straight. When the driver puts the power on, the skier just pops up like a cork.

Happy skiing [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

hlb is online now Registered User

Son bought a dory with about a 50hp engine and learned to ski behind it. seemed to work fine.