Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Liability issues for skippers

Are there any liability issues we should know about if people we don't really know are coming with us on our boats, especially inexperienced sailors? Sorry for such a paranoid question, but **** does happen.
    It's easy to forget how great it is out on the water.

Default Re: Liability issues for skippers ... I suppose some one had to ask !

If it pains you ...... a short letter signed by other accepting that no responsibility is carried by skipper or owner of the vessel ... etc.

But as its forum members basically going on this and NOT open house -- is it really necessary >>> ??? Sad if it is ...

Sorry to be rude ...

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Default Re: Liability issues for skippers ... I suppose some one had to ask !

Like I say, **** happens. I'm taking someone who I don't know, is a very new forum member and has never sailed on a yacht before, and only in dinghies a couple of times. I am not a sailing school, just someone willing to let someone have a go and hopefully really enjoy it. I would like to think nothing will go wrong, and in all probablity it won't. The guy sounds sensible and accepts sailing is potentially dangerous.

I'm in a profession where the vast majority of the time, everything goes perfectly, but the odd time people don't take your advice and things go wrong, they try to blame you. The tolerant view can easily change. This is not casting judgement on anyone, just being realisitc

Does being a forum member make people immune from the current society expectations and blame culture?

Default Re: Liability issues for skippers

Alex

If it's any comfort I've taken several previously un-met forumites to Cherbourg and it's been a pleasure (so far). Worth asking if they have any medical conditions or special dietary requirements. Make sure they present their passports and any medication before you go.

Some crew will be looking to gain logged passages for YM etc and I'll generally let someone else skipper the boat back if I'm happy with their outward leg. Gives them a valuable qualifying passage and me a lie-in! Obviously, they need to present a sound passage plan beforehand.

Since I never charge crew they are there as my guests and there are no additional insurance or liability issues that I'm aware of. No form of written disclaimer can waive your liability as skipper/owner - whether family, forumites or friends.

Thanks Tom.

Alex, FWIW I'd go for a short sail with the guy before committing cos if he's really inexperienced and its just the two of you its a long way if you're sailing the boat and nursemaiding as well if the worst happens and he's incompetent, lacking in common sense, has BO, blocks the heads, is a raving transvestite and likes Cleine Dion blasting away on the CD.
    Jings, bit hot today innit!

If it's any consolation I also wondered whether I'd inadvertently invited an axe-murderer the first time!

Thanks Jimi, good advice. Going for a sail with him this weekend and also hopefully got another experienced friend coming along to Cherbourg.

powerskipper is online now Registered User

When I am going on boats with new peeps, I spend the first few hours just going over basics i.e. I don't untie the boat before they know how to
    tie it back up
    throw a rope,
    can walk around the boat safely
    know how a life jacked, radio works,
    also where to turn the engines off or on.
    then a few simple rules,

always say when going out on deck, and when back from being on deck,
    let me know where they will be if not within site.

If in unsure ask, doe's not matter how silly they think question is ask it anyway.

this is more power boats stuff but would use similar things on a sail boat.

No, still very useful, after all, our boats are just glorified power boats with big flappy bits . Thanks Julie.