Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Liability issues for skippers

Alex
    As one of the people sticking their neck out to organise this event, there is no difference to any other sailing trip - Skippers must make their own decisions about who to take, weather interpretations, passage plans etc. The only aspect which is actually organised is the meal. We will also be in contact with the Capitanerie, so they are prepared for the invasion.

Seperately, As a skipper myself, I generally go along with what the others have said, although I have had one bad experience.

I now have a policy whereby I won't take a complete stranger across the channel. I either need to know them myself, or they must be known to somebody else who I trust (a bit like a reference).

If neither of the above, I would arrange to go out for a day sail in advance, as you have done. Don't feel obliged, be prepared to turn them away. Not a problem for somebody like you who is very experienced in giving bad news, but for others this might not be easy once they have struck up a rapport.
    was BIGNICK, SkyTalk, MoodyNick in the past.

so how does a life jacked radio work? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    was BIGNICK, SkyTalk, MoodyNick in the past.

It can be just as worrying sailing with an unknown skipper for the first time (especially for inexperienced crew).

When I first got interested in sailing last year, I asked if anyone needed crew on another forum. Got two invites straight away. The first from a (brit) couple moving their boat around Florida, were quite happy to give up the fwd cabin if my wife came too, the other invite was Hamble based.

SWMBO (who doesn't sail... yet) was convinced that the first boat would be all wife swappers and the second would be some kind of raging shirt lifter or axe-murderer.

The reality was that the couple in Florida were very genuine and friendly - only offering a place for SWMBO when I said I wouldn't be allowed two weeks to go sailing on my own! Turns out they were good friends of another member of the same forum who I've since met. The second invite turned out to be one of the safer skippers that I've sailed with - especially for a newbie.

Maybe this says more about my wife's view of the world than the usefulness of sailing forums [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, I think the key thing here is common sense. I wouldn't have considered flying out to Florida for two weeks sailing with an unknown skipper anyway (esp. as a novice) but a day out in the Solent was a different, hopefully less risky matter.

Before getting my berth for Cherbourg with a skipper I sail with regularly, I'd contacted another forumite who may have had places, suggesting a meet for a beer or a day sail before the Scuttlebut event. Gives both parties an opportunity to change their minds.

As I say, just common sense.

Cheers,

. . Greg
    "Your mind is like a parachute, it only works when it is open." Frank Zappa

so how does a life jacket ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,radio work

Now it works LOL
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/buoyfun/[URL]
    Mendezmarine.co.uk

Default Whats a .....

yiiipp or what ever it is in your signature ???

Default Re: Whats a .....

its a happy shout!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Mendezmarine.co.uk

Default Sort of .... YIPPEEEEE !!

with spelling mistake !!

Default Re: Sort of .... YIPPEEEEE !!

Yup [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Mendezmarine.co.uk

Default Re: Sort of .... YIPPEEEEE !!

Happy now [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Mendezmarine.co.uk

Last year's trip was my first sail too and it's only thanks to generous people like you that the likes of me get to enjoy and experience sailing. In every case on a first outing on a strange boat I've been very impressed with the professionalism of the skippers with regards to safety issues including making sure I was clipped on when redecorating the hull (sorry Ian).
    Well done Alex for making the offer and I'm sure you'll have a great time.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast