Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Alistairr is offline Registered User

Default Certificate of British Registry.

I received some paperwork for the 'new to us' boat yesterday, and i'm slightly confused!!!!

Received was 2 Bill of Sales, and a Certificate of British Registry.

Does the Certificate of British Registry mean that the boat is Part 1 Registered, or is that standard issue with all boats?
    Also the Seriel number tie up ok, but on the Certificate the Ships name is different to whats on the side of the boat!
    Does that mean we'd need to re-name and re-sign write the boat? But other thing is we do actually quite like the current name on the boat.

Can anyone please clarify!

Many Thanks,

Alistair.
    [ur]www.alistairrichardson.co.uk[/url]

tico is online now Registered User

Default Re: Certificate of British Registry.

Is yr certificate a small laminated one... if so its the pt3 / SSR cert . You can get that changed to suit whatever name you want (within reason)

If it is SSR ( also known as Part 3 ) Registered then you can change the name to whatever you like ( except rude or confusing names ).

You can do this online at the CoastGuard web site https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/ . IIRC there is a small fee to be paid.

It would appear that the previous owner changed the name but may not have bothered with updating the certificate.

Also worth checking at the ITU to see if the vessel's callsign is registered http://www.itu.int/cgi-bin/htsh/mars/ship_search.sh

Finally, update the CG66 details held by the CoastGuard so they have a record of you as the new owner and telephone numbers for next-of-kin, etc. I think you can do this online too, or at least you can download the form, but I've mislaid my link to it.

DavidJ is offline Registered User

Clearly what the previous owner has done is renamed the boat (not proven to be unlucky!) without tidying up the paper work. It must happen quite a lot.
    I have a tel no on the back of mine which is 029 2076 8206. Suggest give them a call.
    Also I notice on the back that the certificate should be returned to the SSR when the boat has a new owner. How many people have ever done that with a partIII SSR??

David

Its a laminated sheet of A4, that has the Registry of Shipping and Seamen, guild on the top left corner. So i think its P1.

I have now found out the vessel was origionally registered Part 1 when new with name 'Arkangel'. I then presume the second owners, renamed the boat, 'Kommando' without going through the proper channels.

So we were willing to go ahead with that name, now the new ownership papers have arrived, stating 'Arkangel'.

So dilema, should we change the name back to 'Arkangel', or re-register with the name 'Kommando'(if available)?????

And if P1 registered, why is there no wooden plaque on the boat???

Confused, I am!!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers

Alistair.

Wiggo is online now Registered User

Well, the wooden plaque thing may be a bit too literal. Our last boat was part 1, but she had a little engraved plastic sign inside one of the lockers in the cockpit. You could spent hours playing 'hunt the engraving'...

If she's part 1 and the name was not changed, then she's still officially 'Arkangel', and you should change her back asap, before Poseidon or Nessie (or whoever lives in Loch Lomond) gets the hump.
    The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, and is not preceded by a period of worry and doubt.
    <span style="color:blue">
    http://www.nereid-charter.com
    </span>

You can change the name of a part 1 registered boat, but it has to be an original and acceptable name, and it costs about 80 quid from memory. If there's already a Kommando (which seems unlikely) you can get round it by calling it "Kommando of &lt;name of port&gt;"

mikef is offline Registered User

The likely reason that the boat was Part 1 registered in the first place was that the first owner raised a marine mortgage on it. As a Part 1 registered boat, you cannot just change the name when you like. So, either you're going to have to apply to the registry for a change of name (at a cost)or adopt the registered name. You could de-register the boat in order to change the name but thats a bit pointless. It costs several hundred pounds to register a boat under Part 1 and it is worth keeping for a couple of reasons. First, as I've said before, it allows you or a future owner to raise a mortgage on the boat and, second, it allows a future buyer of your boat to check that there are no outstanding debts registered on it. Part 1 registration is worth having
    Re the wooden plate which is actually called the carving and marking note, that can often be hidden away although I think they are supposed to be on view. On my boat, for some obscure reason, it's inside the lazarette hatch so take a good look round your boat. Again you could apply to the registry for a replacement
    To comply with the registry also, the name of the boat has to be displayed on the transom together with the port of registry and there are minimum sizes for the lettering as well

Ok, thats cleared that up, Thanks guys for all the indepth replies.
    We're going to the boat tomorrow, so will look in all the nouks and krannies for the plate.
    Wiggo, i loved you explanation about changing the name!!! rofl [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So the next question, which sound better on stern of a Sealine S24?

Arkangel
    Glasgow

or

Kommando
    Troon
    ???

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

mikef is offline Registered User

Not sure that Troon will be on approved list of registered ports? Have to say on balance I like Kommando the least (a bit naff Birchwoodish) but, hey, its your boat. Sounds like a good reason for another thread - find a name for your boat?