Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boat names and superstitions.

Thinking of calling our next boat 'Hand of God'. Are there any rules or superstitions about this sort of boat name?
    Cycling to Bordeaux again for a great kids charity.justgiving.com/bordeauxbrian

Default Re: Boat names and superstitions.

No you can call your boat what you want to, how about Diego Maradona instead.

Lakesailor is online now Registered User

If you're going to upset any religious body, I'd plump for the C of E.
    Probably less backlash.

Avoid naming them after wives!

Boats last longer :-)
    - Don't blame me, it's the voices in my head that make me do it.

Don't know of any rules, but remember a friend who named his dog "[--word removed--]", because the animal was an undertermined mixture. Looked like a great idea untill he had to call the beast in a busy street. So better think twice before deciding on an "original" name.
    Keep smiling,
    Theo.

removed word started with a B

KeithH is offline Registered User

I am sure that I read somewhere that some names are not allowed - might be the Small Ships Register? You cannot call a boat something like HMS Victory, or Lifeboat.....

One test is to imagine calling up the Coastguard with a problem. Would the boat's name sound stupid if repeated 3 times, in a Mayday call? I think many boat names would fail that test, though. Especially the smart *rse ones.

Another thought is to search the MARS database ( http://www.itu.int/cgi-bin/htsh/mars...earch.sh#start ) with your chosen name, or part of it, and see how many others have used it. There does not seem to be a Hand of God, but there are 3 "Hands Off" and three "Hands On". The database tells you which country they are registered too.
    KeithH

Gordonmc is offline Registered User

Invariably eyebrows are raised when I tell anyone the name of our boat and I have to admit is a very un-boatlike name.
    Flap.

That was the name of the boat when I bought her and it must have been christened such when ordered from the yard, because the name is carved into a deck beam along with the job number.

The decision not to re-name her has nothing to do with superstition. I figure that whatever the reason the original owner had for the name, it must have been a good one, so its good enough for me.
    Visit MarinaSkip to get rid of your unwanted boaty stuff (and pick up
    some more!)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip/

[ QUOTE ]
    I am sure that I read somewhere that some names are not allowed - might be the Small Ships Register? You cannot call a boat something like HMS Victory, or Lifeboat.....

[/ QUOTE ]

The register will refuse any name which is offensive or likely to cause confusion, e.g. Mayday

The don't care how many others there are of the same name. The part 1 registry however doesn't allow duplicates which is why there are so many names like "xxxx of Hamble". Also once a name is registered on part 1, only the owner of the original "Seagull" is allowed to use "Seagull 2" or "Seagull II". That's why there are lots of "Seagull too" type names about.
    One hull good, two hulls better.

Just don't enter boat races and never win. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    To discover new horizons, you must lose sight of land

Lakesailor is online now Registered User

And always reef early.