Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default RNLI gives warning to \'Birmingham Navy\'

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...755187,00.html

THE Royal National Lifeboat Institution has given warning to amateur sailors to undertake proper training or risk the imposition of statutory controls at sea.

Basic rules for amateurs
    Make sure there is fuel in the petrol tank
    Check the weather forecast beforehand
    Wear a safety harness when sailing at night or when the wind gets above force 4
    Donít sail after dark or in fog
    Donít drink at sea
    Put the sails up while still in harbour
    If there is a strong wind, put a reef in the sail before you put it up: itís easier than at sea
    Make sure that at least one person on board can work the VHF radio
    Never follow the yacht in front: the skipper may know even less than you

What a strange list [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Of course The Times may have mangled it, but leaving aside the contradiction between wearing a safety harness at night, which would be a fat lot of use without stropping on, and not sailing at all at night, haven't they left out some of the key points such as:

Undertaking training before skippering a vessel and
    Always sailing within the ability of skipper, crew and vessel?

What other points would forumites have on their 'must do' safety list.

Default Re: RNLI gives warning to \'Birmingham Navy\'

Make sure that two people can operate the radio.
    At least 2 people should know how to start/stop and use the engine
    Get weather forecast - only go out within your/crew/boat limitations
    Basic 1st aid kit
    Appropriate clothing
    Tell someone where you plan to go and expected return time/destination.
    We're supposed to do a passage plan and carry a SOLAS at sea signal paper.

And lots more but too busy now to list them

Steve
    http://www.seraph-sailing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    Never follow the yacht in front: the skipper may know even less than you

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of the story of the yacht which followed a Thames Barge until it ran aground, and then the yacht did too. Skipper of barge calls out "I'm here for sand. What you come for?"

I agree, though, that this is a strange list. Don't sail in fog? How many of us deliberately sail in fog? But we often get caught in it unexpectedly.
    Cornishmen do it drekly

to quote "Make sure that two people can operate the radio.
    At least 2 people should know how to start/stop and use the engine"

guess your not a regular solo sailor then

Go back to the situation in the Solent 2 years ago when Chris Evan's and his mates were out and about. The skipper went overboard at twilight and drowned. Subsequent reports indicated that NO ONE ELSE on board knew how to use the radio, turn on the lights, or use the engine.

We live and learn!

I really can't see the point of taking a swipe at RNLI when all they are trying to do is alert the public to the need to take care if you put to sea. What's wrong with that?

FWIW odds are the list is based on RNLI's experience of the main causes of call outs; they have far more knowledge about this than we do.

Lakesailor is online now Registered User

Agree there. If the points sound less onerous and reasonably sensible even those who just go out for a jolly may take the trouble. If you make it sound like a mammoth task theyll say "sod that, we're only going out for a while"

Default Unfortunate ..... but had to happen ...

The RNLI is a wonderful voluntary body and should be supported as much as possible.

But I always am wary of bodies stepping outisde of their remit. The list given here, albeit understandable and most likely based on call-outs, is not a very good one and also introduces a sad note.

If any Govt. person read it and started to consider legislating Boating ........... then it would be a mess if based on that list. We have to remember that RNLI even though voluntary is often listened to by authorities ...

I would hope that this list - if correct - is only a discussion document aimed at the unwashed few who think boating is a joy-ride and no experience necessary ... which majority on boats understand is not the case.

How does anyone point out to the idiots the wrongs without incurring trouble for those that are not so stupid ???

Lakesailor is online now Registered User

Default Re: Unfortunate ..... but had to happen ...

I think you're all over-reacting. It was headlined "Basic rules for amateurs"
    If that threatens you, perhaps it was aimed at you.

Default I didn\'t say any different actually ...

I commented that often many text's issued by some are read by others and lead to rules etc. that basically are a mess. It is a comment and not a statement to contradict another.

I agreed that idiots on water need educating .... but publishing a list may not be the best way forward - especially from such an esteemed body.

My last comment in that post actually put a sort of question - how do you educate idiots and not suffer the ones who have some knowledge ??