Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    powerskipper is offline Registered User

Default Re: Apostrophes and Plurals Aside

thanks,
    eerr my memories of sailing in Scotland's were a Little damper than the weather we have seen down here on the Solent. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

powerskipper is offline Registered User

Default Re: Old fashioned girl\'s

I did as at home doing the gardening. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Default Tragically

[ QUOTE ]
    There is a custom that we don't correct the spelling or grammar of others. There are two good reasons for that. Work them out for yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not inclined to let custom stale my infinite variety. Never mind, though. If I carry on like this I expect I shall be banished for naughtiness and then you can all abuse the poor, innocent, necessary apostrophe to your hearts' content.
    [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Default Re: Tragically

OK, I'll spell it out:

1. Many contributors do not have English as a first language but make a valuable contribution to the discussions. To criticise their English would be discourteous in the extreme.

2. Even where the poster's first language is English he/she may have not had the benefit of your education but they can still be informative, entertaining and popular. Likewise posts with immaculate spelling and grammar can still be pointless, boring and irritating.
    One hull good, two hulls better.

Default Re: Tragically

Snowleopard, I concur. - H.O.(English) Dept. Ret'd
    'Reinstate MadFrankie'

tcm is online now Registered User

Default Mitigating circumstances though?

As a member of the forum grammar/spelling police (counter-terrorism dept) I thought the tang thingy's post was funny and appropriate, esp given the extreme use of apostrophe in the OP, no? But i take yr points altho of course, powerskipper is fairly bulletproof anyway.

Default ROTFLMAO!

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, I'll spell it out:

1. Many contributors do not have English as a first language but make a valuable contribution to the discussions. To criticise their English would be discourteous in the extreme.

2. Even where the poster's first language is English he/she may have not had the benefit of your education but they can still be informative, entertaining and popular. Likewise posts with immaculate spelling and grammar can still be pointless, boring and irritating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let them read and learn! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Default The tang thingy?

[ QUOTE ]
    As a member of the forum grammar/spelling police (counter-terrorism dept) I thought the tang thingy's post was funny and appropriate, esp given the extreme use of apostrophe in the OP, no? But i take yr points altho of course, powerskipper is fairly bulletproof anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Appreciate your comments, but how come YOU don't get pulled up for "discourtesy"????? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Default Spellchecker?

[ QUOTE ]
    Now
    "y's" is easy to read than "ies"

and simpler to remember.

PS my spell checker did not pick it up, so could you have a word with it and get it to help a bit more. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it didn't - they ain't superhuman, you know.

Lady's and ladies are both legitimate words - it's just that they mean different things. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

claymore is offline Registered User

Default Fred Drift

What do you think about the boats in the pictures then - I don't seem to be able to see where you have commented on them.
    Or is that not why you are here