Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Come and support the Red Diesel campaign!

Hi

Over the next couple of days, we're taking Calm Voyager to a few marinas on the south coast to raise awareness of the red diesel issue.

While we're there, we'll be handing out flyers, chatting to boaters and (hopefully) meeting some members of the local press. The idea is to put red diesel in the public eye and make sure boaters and non-boaters understand the issues involved.

Obviously it would be great to see some friendly faces, so if anyone fancies coming down to show their support, it would be much appreciated.

Tomorrow we'll be at Cowes Yacht Haven at 11am, and Gosport Marine at 2pm.

On Saturday we'll be at Swanwick Marina on the River Hamble from 11am.

Calm Voyager will be bearing some rather large banners, so we should be easy to find!

Look forward to hopefully seeing one or two of you...

Simon
    Editor
    Motor Boats Monthly

Andrew_Fanner is offline Registered User

Default Re: Come and support the Red Diesel campaign!

Come up the river too, there's some of us there, and you go past that big building in London where they claim the decision will be made...
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

We're going to try this to start with, then see how we get on. We don't have time to go on one long trip covering loads of different places, but we might have time to lots of short trips instead.

The idea with the south coast isn't just laziness (promise!). I'm thinking that for some of these places, the marine industry is a very very big deal, and therefore the media will be more interested in picking up the story.

Essentially, if they don't bite then probably no one will, and we'll have to come up with a different plan to raise awareness.
    Editor
    Motor Boats Monthly

Therefore suggest you find places with skint boaters who are more concerned wth fuel costs than the very well off:-)

whisper is offline Registered User

Have to admit that I also think that to raise Public Awareness on this subject is likely to be very counter-productive.

Sorry you feel this is counter productive.

I think we did quite well at highlighting the key issues. For example, we did this interview with Solent TV, which went out on their 6 o'clock news:

http://www.mbmclub.com/mbm/media/Red...l_02_09_05.wmv

I know what you mean about public awareness and it's a tricky issue, but I think that if we keep quiet we'll never get anywhere. We also got some great quotes from non-boaters with non-boating businesses such as pubs and tea rooms, who went on the record for us to say how much damage a downturn in boating could cause to their livelihoods.

Did it do more harm than good? What do you think?
    Editor
    Motor Boats Monthly

Whilst i do not think that we can possibly win the public over and can possibly do damage trying to, on balance MBM have done a positive thing with their campaign - you cannot be seen to do nowt!

The best way to fight it is to show how:-
    1. It will raise less tax
    2. It will damage many businesses as well as directly damaging a succesful UK marine industry.
    3. It will damage many coastal areas. Imagine in effect the Windermere effect repeated in many coastal areas - I know its different but they argued that it would not damage the economy because it would attract new visitors ...
    4. Its not even logical as we make no attempt to give parity with road fuel taxation.
    5. Its almost impossible to police
    etc
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

You are deluded if you think you can win the general public over to your side. Most of them look in envy at your white, sparkling toys and wish they could afford the thousands of pounds you spend in Marina fees and fuel each year. As with the Hunting debate, you are generally regard as a bunch of rich toffs by most working class families struggling to pay their morgages, council tax and fill their cars with road diesel at 93p per litre, so I'm afraid your campaign is doomed to failure, still, must'nt grumble, it'll be anice trip and a good piss up.
    How can I soar with the eagles when I work with turkeys?

You are missing the large number (majority) of boats that are not white or sparkly, but still use fuel. While a small number of lefties into the politics of jealousy might be in favour, Joe Tripper might be less in favour of the empty harbours and underused canals and rivers.

I wonder how much reduction in license income the EA and BW would face. CF Windermere I'd expect them to be quaking in their corporate boots.

Hate to be negative but I've thought right from the start that getting the general media involved is a bad idea.

You can just imagine on a slow news day the Sun or the Mirror running a story showing a picture of a nurse with a diesel car and a picture of Abramovichs' latest toy with the headline "Guess who pays three times more for their fuel."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast