Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recommendations for ideal boat please.

Hi all,
    Could you help out an almost complete beginner please?
    Previously we have owned motor homes and enjoyed our trips away. However we have noted two problems. The first is living on Guernsey we can only manage 4 weeks away a year, the rest of the time the motorhome quietly rusts away. The second is the bad attitude of our environment dept to motorhomes.
    This has prompted us to look at boating as a much better alternative for us. I mucked about in fishing boats when I was younger but have done nothing since. We want to do inter island trips initially then later the French and English coasts.
    My research suggests a fairline targa 27 at 20000 to 30000 GBP would be ideal for us due to its seaworthiness. Can anybody suggest something else and advise of unseen pitfalls?
    ps. I am doing the RYA courses.

hlb is offline Registered User

Default Re: Recommendations for ideal boat please.

Well the boat is still going to rust away the other 48 weeks. Cant see it's worth bothering, less you find more time!!

Sorry Haydn, should have made myself clearer. Being on Guernsey our travel options are limited.The Island is roughly 8 x 4 miles. The motorhome has to be booked on a ferry to get to uk or france. Or stored in france (still a hassle to get there).
    The idea of the boat is after a crappy week at work we would be able to climb aboard and be cruising at the drop of a hat. So the boat would get far more use than the motorhome.
    ......................didn't think GRP rusted!!!!

Advice on ideal boat. Try out lots of boats first. You can probably get lots of trips if you ask nicely at local marina. Set aside another 15% of budget for buying all the other stuff you'll need and maintenance in first year. Set aside budget in following years for maintenance and other purchases.

Set aside budget for selling your first boat and buying another within first 2 years, as you discover more realistically what your ideal boat is.

Repeat this every 1 or two years, as common rule of thumb is that you don't get your ideal boat until you've had 5 or 6

Reason for the 6 boat rule, is that everyone is different, and uses them in different ways. Only you can decide on best layout, use of space, sea worthiness against speed until you've built up experience and usage pattern

hlb is offline Registered User

Err. I've been to Guersey one or two times. You thought of some thing that will take the ground? and maybe utalise most of the harbours. Think for 20 grand I'd be looking for something solid and basic over there .

mikef is online now Registered User

A targa 27 will be able to dry out if the outdrive(s) is(are) lifted and using beaching legs. Otherwise I tend to agree with you. Might be better off with something Hardy/Aquastar/Channel Islands 'ish that can take a bit of a sea

Lakesailor is online now Registered User

The ideal boat is one that someone else owns and pays for as well as worries about. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

tico is online now Registered User

try poster hereabouts Depsol, just mention Solly & he'll come running.

Alternatively try a Sunfury, hull etc well suited to CI waters and a few around Guernsey.... Make sure its a diesel tho

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping that by doing lots of research I could eliminate some or all of the interim boats in your 5 to 6 and home in on the ideal boat straight away.
    The Targa 27 has quite a good reputation locally as has the Sunfury.
    I was thinking along the lines of 20 to 30 grand for a twin petrol engined jobby to use for visiting Herm, Sark, Alderney, Jersey and perhaps Carteret/Dielette. Then when I wanted to go further afield do a diesel conversion.

Send a pivate message to DepSol, he is on guernsey and knows about boats...

Going http://www.totalboating.co.uk
    Or http://www.prosportribs.co.uk [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hope that helps...