Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregnant crew

AliM is offline Registered User

Default Re: Pregnant crew

If it's her first, you'll probably have many hours warning before the birth - it's called labour. It may not be comfortable, safe, wise or much fun to go into labour several hours away from the hospital, but 99 times out of a hundred, you wouldn't have to deliver the baby at sea. If it's her second or a later one, it will probably come quicker, but then she'll be a bit less frightened if labour starts. Can you sail somewhere local, so that you could get back quickly (say, 1 hour to somewhere an ambulence could pick her up) if things started happening?

Discuss the contingency plans with her, and if you are satisfied that she appreciates the dangers, then let her come. She's not ill - she's just pregnant - lots of women ride horses, run, sail, drive long distances... up to the time they go into labour.

Alistairr is offline Registered User

Yip, We have been told, On Average Labour lasts 14hrs [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].

So should have time to sail to a safe haven, although personally, i wouldn't like to be in that position.

But hey, its not me, so enjoy whatever you decide! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Cobra25 is offline Registered User

Grrooaaan. So when it's 45 we'll hear it saying "I've been sailing since before I was even born'.

That will beat even those who mention in their profile that they have been sailing since they were 4 or 3 or 7 etc.

Has anybody any baby sick stories to tell? OOOHHHHH
    It's easy to be honest with a shilling in your pocket.

Lakesailor is online now Registered User

Yeah, she can always come afterwards.
    When I was an ambulanceman I had a patient give birth on the top of a hill in the middle of the night in a blizzard. You feel very alone at these times.

When my wife was in her eigth month we went sailing for a week. She'll have some difficulty getting in and out of the dingy and she will pee a lot. So it will be like having a child, elderly person, or drunk person on board.
    Wayward Son,
    51' gaff-rigged schooner
    Yanmar 4JHE

LittleShip is offline Registered User

Default ????

Just a thought.................

I wonder how many children are born on a boat and how many are conceived on one??

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img][img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tom

It is my belief that the skipper is ultimately responsible for the safety of the boat and all the crew on her. Personally I would not consider taking a woman to sea who is eight months pregnant, however much she wanted to go. You could very well be issuing a Mayday for a Coastguard helicopter to get her ashore when premature labour starts!

When I think of the billions and billions of babies that have have been born in the past couple thousand years, I always find the bedlam and panic amusing when somebody yells,"OMG SHE'S GOING INTO LABOUR!". The whole childbirth thing has been going pretty well for the human race for quite some time yet the sight of vagina with a head coming out of it can turn even the most handy crew into clumsy oafs.
    Wayward Son,
    51' gaff-rigged schooner
    Yanmar 4JHE

tcm is offline Registered User

Default amusing labour

You are not recognising that mortality rates (for babies and mothers) for most of that sevral thousand years was high, death being a frequent visitor to every street and family in the land, whereas these days it is low - people confidently expect pregnant women to return from hospital together with a baby (or two). This situation resulted from advances in medical science, not from a laissez-faire attitude.

In any case "I always find it amusing" - how often do women give birth on your boat?

Default Re: amusing labour

Take it easy....just lightening things up , or so I thought. Thank you for pointing out that death stalks babies and expecting mothers of every street and family in the land.
    Wayward Son,
    51' gaff-rigged schooner
    Yanmar 4JHE

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast