Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Leisure 23 - How does she sail ?

All,

I am looking seriously at a Leisure 23 and read the report from David Harding in the Feb. 1998 issue of PBO.

The report wasn't good on her sailing abilities, especially up wind. That got me a bit worried! Although, later in the report, he mentions he fixed it! But he would only say how in a forthcoming Sail Clinic!!!! Trouble is, I dont know which one !

Can anybody comment on how the Leisure 23 (bilge keel) sail ? The report was about a L23/SL. The one I am looking at is a straight 23 with an outboard and bilge keel.

Many thanks in advance.
    [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Default Re: Leisure 23 - How does she sail ?

I have a 23SL with an outboard and bilge keels, but the hull shape is the same as the standard 23 - the coachroof is the difference. I think that her sailing abilities are fine, considering her accommodation. A racing yacht she is not. Upwind sailing does require a bit of sail tweeking, but she will tack through 90 degrees. Just looking at the wake shows that she does not make a lot of leeway. The only gripe I have is that when she heels a lot, she has a lot of weather helm, but this is quite common with dumpy boats. I am very pleased with mine.

it was my leisure 23 in the article. after david harding put me right the boat sailed very well. the main problem in ablow was over power in the genoa if you put a couple of turns in you lose the weatherhelm. we sailed her for a number of years & very happy with her. at the time as you will see in the pictures we had an outboard on we later changed to an inboard. the L23 is a good choice of safe and comfortable boat with a very good and active assocciation. my opinion is the SL is a better buy. best of luck

i'm on my second season with a leisure 23sl inboard engine.6 knots is my best..lots of weather helm and quite a bit of heeling....but she is usually dry as i'm not a 'technical' sailor i dont know if thats good or not!but i do know that they are strong well made boats...the leisure owners association has good info.www.leisureowners.org.uk.happy sailing

I had an L23SL as my first "Proper yacht" an excellent boat IMO.

She could be a bit tender however, I think this was due to her being an outboard engined/bilge keeled version as opposed to the inboard engined version.

They are very forgiving and I have fond memories of mine.

Make sure you purchase an inboard engine version, it's the one regret I had about mine.

The L23 SL has more room than the earlier L23 and the other big advantage is the support network... superb! V strong message board and spares are still available for them via the owners association contacts.

I'm not sure I agree about the virtues of an inboard version. It's more "you pays your money..."

Advantages of inboard - can be more reliable - more economical - fuel more easily available - can last longer.

Disadvantages of inboard - expensive to replace, and bear in mind that a L23 may have a 20year old engine, or older.

Advantages of outboard - cheaper to replace - easier to work on (and you can take it home) - if you loosen the steering lock, the boat becomes amazingly manouverable, but you do have to steer hanging over the stern.

Disadvantages of outboard - thirstier, and petrol is not as easily available. The worst thing about an outboard, in my opinion, is lifting it and dropping it up and down the transom.

Lakesailor is online now Registered User

Got me confused there.
    If your genoa is overpowering the balance of the boat surely you'll be bearing away from the wind, creating lee helm?
    Weather helm is required to prevent the boat rounding up, like my own bilge keel boat tends to. And that is due to my main getting more powerfull, relatively, as the boat heels.
    That's the conclusion we came to on a thread a bit ago.
    Or am I wrong? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I was convinced the lack of an inboard engine affected her stability hence the reason for inboard.

I just noticed other L23SL's with inboards weren't half as tippy as mine!

I prolonged my outboard life by fitting a lifting transom mount, it was a bit of a [--word removed--] to lift but it saved on the wear and tear.

Dunno about the manouverable bit, hanging over the transom steering via outboard wasn't fun.

We locked it in position and used the tiller, I bought a tiller extension to control the outboard revs from the cockpit.

Another thing I also found was that when someone was stood on the bow manouverability went out of the window, she became a real pig to handle at times, or maybe I was too knackered at the end of the days sailing [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Still, that's why I would go for inboard if I had to again [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I only use the outboard to steer whilst at low speed in a marina. I have a 12mm spanner on a piece of string so I can tighten it up again and then steer with the rudder. It's a bit of a pita, but the extra manouverability makes it worth it, especially when single-handed. I must say that I would prefer an inboard to an outboard, but I wouldn't go to the expense of converting, as outboards do have some advantages.

[ QUOTE ]
    If your genoa is overpowering the balance of the boat surely you'll be bearing away from the wind, creating lee helm?

[/ QUOTE ]
    It doesnt allways work like that.
    Rolling the Genoa up a bit usually reduces the weatherhelm .

As you roll the sail up the center of effort of the remaining genoa moves forward. Also as the boat sails flatter the hull shape is contributing less to the weathjer helm effect.

Obviously if you need to roll up a lot of genoa you then need to start reefing the main or she will become unbalanced again .

Different boats are different.on some boats you will need to tuck down the main first .