Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Non drowsy sea sickness pills?

My niece is going to sea next month and I was wondering if any of you can recommend sea sickness pills that work but most importantly don't have drowsy side- effects.

Many thanks.

Default Re: Non drowsy sea sickness pills?

I think you'll find (though I'll probably be corrected on here) that all the common over the counter anti nausea drugs will make you feel sleepy, many seem to include Cafein in the tablet to counteract this.

In practice I've found that the Scopoderm patches are the best, side effects are a very dry mouth.

The only tablets that seem to be effective ( for me) and also have the cafein are ones with the drug Dimenhidrinato ( 100mg every 3-4 hours), or as trade names Cinfamar and Biodramina C (the C for the added cafein), I bought mine in Spain but you might find similar ones here.

I find that ginger in any form that isn't highly processed (e.g. root, crystallised) can help. I t doesn't cause drowsiness. But I am fairly immune to sea sickness most of the time. My wife suffers worse but she too finds ginger helps. It doesn't work for everybody but could be worth a try.

Derek.

I use Boots own-brand 'Travel Calm'. Only side effect with me is to make me thirsty.

There's a prescription only one called Prochlorperazine which is taken three times a day. It is not the most specific medication for sea sickness, but does not really have any drowsy side effects and can work well. Beware scopolamine patches as they have very variable side effects with differnt people- dry mouth is the commonest, but they can also make you feel quite confised and disorientated. SOme people cut the patches in half to reduce the dosage.

The other way to do it, is to start taking something like Stugeron the day before you sail- you get the drowsy side effects on the initial dose, then they reduce and wear off with subsequent doses- the trick is to get it into your system before you go anywhere near a boat, then ensure you take regular top up doses.

Alex
    It's easy to forget how great it is out on the water.

[ QUOTE ]
    My niece is <span style="color:red"> going to sea </span> next month and I was wondering if any of you can recommend sea sickness pills that work but most importantly don't have drowsy side- effects. Many thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]What do you mean by "going to sea" if with the forces then private/personal medication is frowned upon, if on a cruise ship then the ship's doctor will provide the necessary, if on something like a youth training ship where she is expected to deal with the problem herself then I would recommend Hyoscine Hydrobromide tablets.

As with all medications any contra indications will depend on the individual.

Best to avoid the problem by staying on deck or at least in the fresh air, eyes fixed on the horizon and avoid going below as much as possible.
    --------------------
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Ifraser is offline Registered User

I think its already been said that there is no "one size fits all" sea sick cure....I found Stugeron didn't work and made me very sleepy whereas Kwells give me a dry mouth and make me very slightly light headed but they do work for me so I put up with the minor side effects and after a day or so most people are acclimatised and can stop taking medication....Iain

StugeronSteve is offline Registered User

Still got a prescription for prochlorperazine from my bout of labyrinthitis earlier in the year. Can't remember any side effects, but I was far too wobbly to notice any.

I think the info sheet mentioned that it was also used for treating hallucinations. Anything that carries a risk of putting boaty folk back in touch with reality could be too dangerous to contemplate.
    Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.

andy_wilson is offline Registered User

Default Ginger

I didn't work for me and tastes bloody awful in reverse!

andy_wilson is offline Registered User

Default Best advice

Also mentioned below.

Take the first dose early, at least 1 dose / cycle before casting off, and preferably start a whole day before.

Side effects will most likely subside with time.