Default looking for info on holman and pye northney 34

I have recently purchased a northney 34 built in 1968. Her original name was 'dingbat' i believe. I have not been able to find any information on the boat. Can anyone help?

Default Re: looking for info on holman and pye northney 34

I can't add much. The Northney 34 is GRP version of the Shaker class, which is the counter sterned version of the North Sea 24. The 31ft original Rustler is the GRP version of the North Sea 24.

The Northney 34 is one of the prettiest GRP boats of all time!

"Shaker" herself is on the East Coast now (saw her the other day) and there are I think one or two more wooden ones, and I believe that there are around 30 Nortney 34's. The reason for the short production run is that the moulds were destroyed in a fire.

That's as much as I can contribute.

Have you tried speaking to David Cooper at Holman & Pye?
    I believe they are still in business, they were last year anyway.
    Telephone [UK] 01206 382478.

I did not know that Shaker was a Northney 34. She's my dream boat!
    Dan

Hi
    My father and I owned one for about 10 years from 1971 "Balerina of Mizen". A super yacht, we cruised all over the North Sea and West Coast of Scotland. We could never cure rather too much weather helm and ours had a petrol Albin engine which with 20:20 hindsight we should have changed. I had always believed that they were an elongated Twister. Certainly the cabin layout and the topsides etc. bore a very strong resemblence to a Twister, but I would not argue with Mirelle. His other information is the same as I understand it.

The mast step was supported by an internal bulkhead and on the three Northneys I have been aboard this has had some cracking in it, so I would expect by now that this should have been stengthened.

We also had some Osmosis.

I am sure everyone regrets one boat they have sold and I wish I had hung on to Balerina but family needs got in the way.

If you would like any further thought PM me

Regards

James

Thanks for the info. I haven't had any problems with osmosis. The hull was hand sanded and fresh anti-fouling before i Splashed her this year. I want to know where to look for cracking under the mast step, is it the bulk-head, or the carriage house that cracks. Also, where is the hull number located, I can't find one on the transom. Any suggestion for a power plant? I am leaning towards a Yanmar, possibly a 3GM. What are the remaining boats using? Once again, thanks for your help.

Scot

There is such a thing as a counter sterned Twister, in wood. They are very rare, but one named "Eulali" won Lloyds Yacht Prize for Purbrook Rossiter back in the 60's. The North Sea 24 is a slightly older and larger design (24ft LWL, 31ft LOA, vs 21ft LWL. 28ft LOA) which is very similar to the Twister - the Twister, famously designed in a weekend, is in some respects a scaled down version.

Each design was modified somewhat for GRP construction, to ease mould release, etc., and a friend, who owned a wooden and a GRP Twister in sucession, reckons the wooden one was slightly faster.

The cracking was on the bulkhead at the forward end of the saloon and ran for about 4 inches down from the deck head immediately under the mast step. It appeared to be a stress crack. It could be covered cosmetically by a picture or a self adhesive notice or even a clock. It took me some time to realise why a previous owner had stuck a rather odd plaque on the bulkhead. I never solved the problem and as it did not get worse I lived with it.

With regard to the engine I don't know what others have put in their Northney's. In my current boat which is a James Silver Miss Silver class I have just put in a Beta Marine engine which I am very impressed with. I was even invited along to see the test run in the works before it was despatched to the yard. It is extemely smooth for a Diesel.

Thanks Mirelle one lives and learns

James

There is an entry in the 1969 Register of Yachts under the name Dingbat which reads as follows:-

Type Aux slip, sail no 2380,
    Owner J Stringer & JL Ranscombe
    Port of registry Portsmouth
    home port Douglas
    tm 29.4
    oa 33.8
    wl 24
    bdth 9.1
    draft 5.5
    s area 485
    sail maker Gowen '68
    Builder Nicholson & Marshall, Hayling Islan 1968

Designer Holman & Pye

Engine particulars Petrol motor, 2 cyl, 10 bhp, ailsa craig 1968
    Lack of planning on your part does not necessarily mean it is an emergency on my part...unless we happen to be in the same boat.

Thanks for the info, it gives me a little more to work with.
    Scot

Quote Originally Posted by JMGB View Post
    Hi

I am sure everyone regrets one boat they have sold and I wish I had hung on to Balerina but family needs got in the way.

If you would like any further thought PM me

Regards

James
    I have stumbled across this old thread whilst looking for info on the Northnay 34. There is one moored close by me, and I like the look of it. Yours was called "Balerina of Mizzen" this one as far as I know only has the name "Balerina" painted on her, but I guess she must be the same boat, and looks lovelly.