Default Handheld GPS - Garmin GPS 60 or 72/76?

We are trying to decide which GPS to buy as a back-up for our boat which gets delivered 4/2006.

One mag rates the GPS 60 as a best buy but it does seem that the 72 or the 76 are more marine specific. We have a Raymarine C70 plotter with GPS on the boat so do not need a colour version.

Any help re these much appreciated, esp any comparisons in terms of what one does/doesn't have over the other and/or any specific benefits the two.
    Surely we've bought everything we need now?????

PBooth is offline Registered User

Default Re: Handheld GPS - Garmin GPS 60 or 72/76?

I don't know about the 60, but I have used a 76 for the last couple of years and can recommend them. Very good value for money - you can now get one for around 150 pounds.
    Peter

pvb is offline Registered User

Of the “marine” units you’ve mentioned, the 76 would be the one to go for, because it has a much higher definition screen than the 72 – more than twice the definition in fact. This higher definition results in clearer text, better graphics, etc.

The GPS60 has a slightly smaller screen, although high definition. It’s primarily aimed at “outdoor” use rather than marine use, but you could use it on the boat.

However, you say you want a GPS as a back-up, and that you “have a Raymarine C70 plotter with GPS on the boat so do not need a colour version”. If I were in your position, I’d actually consider getting a Raymarine RC400 as a back-up unit. You could transfer your waypoints and routes from the C70 into the RC400 then, if the C70 fails, you just need to swap the Navionics cartridge and you’re back in business. It’s maybe not that simple – eg waypoint names can only be 8 characters in the RC400, I think – but it’s an effective solution.

The RC400 is about £300, but includes a power lead, data lead and mounting bracket. By the time you’ve added those to a Garmin 76, you’re close to £200, so the price difference isn’t dramatic, especially when viewed in the context of likely product life. Could be worth serious consideration.

claymore is offline Registered User

Second that - and with dedicated powercable and cradle they are a really good unit.

Good points. 76 sounds the best bet from Garmin, I'll take a look at the RC400 though. Thanks.
    Surely we've bought everything we need now?????

Battery life on the plain old 76 series handsets is pretty disappointing... on NiMH batteries you are unlikely to get more than about 8 hours of use. If you anticipate using the handset at all regularly without it being plumbed in to a permanent supply, then I would seriously consider the 60 series instead. They have 2 to 3 times the battery life.

(Actually, it's a bit more complex than this, as the colour 76 handsets GPSMap 76C and CS, use the same new internals as the 60 series, so they do have good battery life, but the old 76, 76Map and 76S Map are still power-hungry).

All IMO of course!

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Mike

Hi I have been using a garmin 72 for the last 2 seasons and have been very happy with it. My boat is up for sale so if you are interested in a back up GPS PM me for more details

whisper is offline Registered User

3rd that.