Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: It\'s what you do with it . . .

Couldn't agree more.

Separate forum for those who sail seriously - offshore passages, night sailing, short handed, long cruises, foreign waters etc - size of boat immaterial.

Suggest caravanning forum for all those AWB owners who rarely get out of the marina.

Or we could just keep things as they are . . .

- Nick

<span style="color:red"> YEEHAH!</span>

Lakesailor is offline Registered User

Default Re: It\'s what you do with it . . .

How about a half-way house solution (sic).
    An acronym that seperates us Small Boat Owners from the AWB, MAB, MOBO

SBO would be obvious, but that would be the only one to refer to the owner rather than the boat.

Suggestions?

mapron is offline Registered User

Default Re: Rallying call .....

Bought Scorpio, my Mirage 2700 just over a year ago. Keep her in the north west. So far sailed to Isle of Man, Scotland and Wales. An excellent bilge keel boat, comfortable and seaworthy. My friend was so impressed he's just bought one.

aitchw is offline Registered User

Default Re: Nervous ..... could be !!

[ QUOTE ]
    Thed comment that PBO might return to its roots - is more valid than initially appears .... I have folders of PBO / YM etc. that go back years and the difference is astounding. Maybe evolution .... but does it mean that small boats have disapeared ? NO they have just been left behind ..

[/ QUOTE ]

PBO could easily guage the market by either releasing a supplement a couple of times a year or dedicating an issue once or twice a year to this sector of the sailing market. If they are bereft of ideas I'm sure forum members could give them a huge list of topics to cover.

As far as the forums are concerned why would anyone assume that the existence of a forum for our kind of boat would exclude anyone from contributing. It wouldn't. Everyone posts to topics they want to across all forums so why would that be any different. It would just make looking for likely topics of interest that much easier. As it is you spend a lot of time opening threads which prove to be of no interest in order to find the ones that are. This is greatly aggravated by the tendency of the servers to lock up/go to sleep. It is a pain waiting minutes for a thread to open only to find it is of no interest or has been hijacked with a load of inane, unfunny replies.

I am quite happy with the idea of adding SBs to the list of shorthand boat descriptions. Why would you use SBO (although in my case either interpretation of Small Boat Owner woud be appropriate to me being only 5'7" on a good day [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])?

Default Some would say they do .....

Many non small boat owners would already say that PBO etc. do cover various small boat topics ... but of course SBO would claim that majority of articles etc. cover the mid range 35ft + etc.

Both are correct - but the point that is made by "aitchw" is very true ... I feel and have found exactly that. I trawl the forum list ... see an interesting title post ... finally get into the thread and wham - it's taken off down a road that has no bearing or even humour - except to a select few - to justify it.

A lonng time ago - I offered to Kim about Fuel Quality specifics - to have a separate listing ... fell by the wayside through lack of my push really..... now I feel a DIY / Small Boat topic driven listing has value ... but I still maintain that I do not want to divide. Just focus a little more on the problems and "art" of coping with small boats and solutions.

I still maintain that there have been posts about solving various problems or questions ... seemingly from small boats owners - but many replies are only suitable for larger greater volume boats .... a good example to me was the open dayboat guy in Med who wanted to charge a battery for overnight fishing ... If he had a Leg/Bav/Ben/Jedn of 35ft+ most of the replies would make sense .... even a lesser cabin boat could have done it ..... but he had an open boat, an outboard engine etc. (Possible that many didn't read the first post properly - common mistake !!)

Anyway ... Small Boats go further !!!

Achillesheel is offline Registered User

Count me in - Achilles 24, bought for 3500, low headroom but comfortable for weekending (have spent up to four nights consecutively on board), sails like a dinghy, does everything a bigger boat will do.

Slow_boat is offline Registered User
    Location : My own cosy little world where nice things happen and life is beautiful all the time

Boomerangben; What do you mean, you can't afford it? I sold a small commuter motorbike I didn't need to raise the cash (1250) for my Vivacity 20. It was a good price for what I got but looking at http://www.boatsandoutboards.com it appears to be about average.Other gear I buy as I can afford it and make do until then. I wear motorcycle waterproofs when I sail at the moment cos they work and it's what I've got.
    There appear to be loads of untrendy, can't stand up in them little boats going for very little money. Maybe because they were build solidly and are pretty much indestuctable, maybe because they were only ever meant for one task so weren't raced and left behind as racing rules changed, I don't know, but there are loads out there.

I still don't understand what MAB stands for.

aitchw is offline Registered User

Manky Auld Boat

[ QUOTE ]
    Manky Auld Boat

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    Waiting for Dan to put me out of your misery since 17 Feb (2010 ).

Default Terminology

I'm not in favour of another new forum but as far as nomenclature is concerned it's got to be MWB. Manky Wee Boats are an obvious subset of Manky Auld Boats. There is also a pleasing symmetry to the acronyms AWB, MAB and MWB.

Manky Wee Boats - Loud and Proud!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast