Nautorius is offline Registered User

Default Tenders on MOBO\'s on the non-tidal Thames

I was wandering around my new Marina (to be) the other day on the non-tidal Thames and saw lots of large (and small) MOBO's with tenders on the back. Now on Windermere and the Sea I had one for safety and for getting to shore when anchored off. But does one actually need a Tender on the Thames or is it just a plaything for the kids? Is there something I am missing?

If there is please tell me as I love buying new toys and my old one is 5 years old and maybe a larger one would help as have put on several KG's since I bought her......

Also does it need to be seperately registered?

Thanks as always

Paul
    Boating is the only thing that keeps me sane!

Andrew_Fanner is offline Registered User

Default Re: Tenders on MOBO\'s on the non-tidal Thames

All Gold is on a mid stream buoy, a tender is useful if the club ferry is not to hand. I also use the tender to get across the river when out cruising. You can anchor midstream for 24 hours, tender to pub, places like Windsor it can be useful for a stooge up and down (avoid trip boats) to get to the swimming pool. I'd miss it if I didn't have it.

Licenceing the thing seems to be legalised banditry, minimum charge of 50 unless its really huge (when it will cost more). The licence is only checked at locks, or if the patrol have nowt else to do and the tender is in the water... I've used Sunbury Lock numerous times, more than once as the sole user, a 2.8m rib, to get my money's worth.

If the tender is towed astern the lock keeper can charge 3 per lock IIRC.
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

Nautorius is offline Registered User

Thanks,

That explains a lot. More expense to register it seperately!

I tend to have the tender on the foredeck or on Snap Davits so I hope I will not have to pay at locks. Good point about the pubs and mooring in the middle, i will have to check out your advice.

By the way the final destination for my boat is to be Bray Marina, who have been superhelpful and SWMBO liked the location. Will be there all 2006, will then review for 2007.

Thanks

Paul
    Boating is the only thing that keeps me sane!

There are loads of small backwaters around Windsor / Cookham to explore with a tender - plus white watering (well almost) by the weirs

If it's a non-powered tender (take the o/b off) it's only 23 for any size boat and you can buy a license at any lock.

If the tender is not actually on the water I'm given to understand that they "can't have you for it".

BUT compared to the whole cost of boating - especially if you're in Bray or anywhere downstream, 50squids is insignificant innit?? Especially as EA are spending 6 million this year on tarting up the rotting infrastructure..

There are lots of little streams and the "other" sides of island which can be explored in a dinghy, especially those where tall boats cannot go. Great fun, again well worth the license.

Something else which I'm glad most folks don't do is to moor your boat somewhere quiet and take the dinghy to the pub; otherwise whatever moorings the pub has are full of MoBos.

miket is offline Registered User

From a very young age my son had access to our tender which led to his continued interest in boats. Well, until he discovered girls!
    A wonderful investment. Kids happy, parents happy.

Phill is offline Registered User

A tender is invaluable on the upper Thames. If you're Moored at Cliveden, how else can you get to Boulters lock to buy ice cream without losing your mooring space? After all if you wanted to walk, you wouldn't have bought a boat!
    Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye

hlb is offline Registered User

Whats the point in having a boat, if not to carry the tender about with. Tenders are much more fun than boats, but slightly limiting on acomodation. So you need to carry them about places. Bit like babies I suppose!!