Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Day trip to a marina.

Emsworth Yacht Harbour is a pleasant small marina and there are pubs serving good food in the village.

(If they really want to do the British marina experience they could bring some old clothes and start scraping the anti-foul off my boat.)

Oh boy. You chaps have excelled yourselves as usual. There's certainly food for thought there. I'd thought of Hamble and Port Solent, but Gosport/Portsmouth would make a good day out....as would all the others.

I shall do what I always do and give the options to 'er indoors and let her decide :-)

stingo is offline Registered User

Gosport fits the bill because being American, they will like their food deepfried in hydrogenous fat. The Castle does a good job of that.

BEWARE of the traffic between Fareham and Gosport, a meer 6 miles that will take at least 30 minutes to do.
    Stingo is For Sale
    http://www.maxim380.com

moodyNick is offline Registered User

would agree with all the suggestions you have been given, but also add that if you take them to Gosport/Portsmouth you will be able show them some of the ships which belong to the best Navy in the world [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Taking me seriously is a big mistake. I certainly wouldn't. (Ani Difranco)

Port Solent is a new largeish marina complex surrounded by a number of branded pub/restaurants.

There are a couple of nice (independant) pubs at Langstone Bridge, near northney marina (pretty small).

The Crown and anchor at Dell Quay (nr chichester) is on the waterfront and does decent food.

Hamble has a few pubs that fit into the traditional building/new food category and is obviously nearish to a large number of marinas
    Absolute Tides app - now with 2nd ports
    sites.google.com/site/absolutetides

Think you mean Town Quay. Ocean village is on the Itchen and not quite so good a view.
    ...... cheque, please.

I did indeed mean that one. Thanks for the correction.

My only defence is to be found in my last post http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.p.../page/0#865178

Whilst in Portsmouth take them to see HMS Victory. I think it is the oldest naval ship still in commission.

I might as well put a plug in for Brighton - if your visitors don't like any of the 13 restaurants, 4 pubs, 2 fast food joints or outdoor cafe within the marina then there's hundreds of alternatives in the city centre. The location is quite spectacular though not exactly picturesque but at least there's a 1000 boats to look at.

if you parked in old portsmouth you could take the water bus around the harbour (avoiding the traffic problem in gosport), stopping where you want (including the gosport marina area), and see a selection of the many historic displays, plus choose from a variety of restraunts/pubs in the old and new part of pompey [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    at sea - boring is good, exciting is bad