Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BlueSkyNick is offline Registered User

Default Drinks - Near Winchester - Wednesday 30th Nov

I have mentioned this idea to a couple of people over recent months.

Anybody in the Winchester, Basingstoke, Petersfield, Amesbury, Romsey area or beyond.

Meet for a drink anytime from 8.30 onwards, at the Cart and Horses, Kingsworthy. Its just off the A33, easy enough to find from all directions.

Can't be bothered to ask around who can make what date so have just put a stake in the ground.

Post here if you plan to come, just so we know how many might turn up.
    was BIGNICK, SkyTalk, MoodyNick in the past.

Default Re: Drinks - Near Winchester - Wednesday 30th Nov

Yikes; I was meant to do this, wasn't I? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Will consult with SWMBO, but hope to be there as it's not far from jhr Towers, and I drive past it on my way to/from the office every day!
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

According to my diary that's Standrews day. He was a busy lad.

Some peculiar marriage-related superstitions have attached themselves to Saint Andrew's feast day.

An old German tradition says that single women who wish to marry should ask for Saint Andrew's help on the Eve of his feast, then sleep naked that night; they will see their future husbands in their dreams.

Another says that young women should note the location of barking dogs on Saint Andrew's Eve: their future husbands will come from that direction.

On the day after Andrew's feast, young people float cups in a tub; if a boy's and a girl's cup drift together and are intercepted by a cup inscribed "priest", it indicates marriage.

There are several explanations for why Andrew became the patron of Scotland.

In 345, Emperor Constantine the Great decided to translate Andrew's bones from Patras to Constantinople. Saint Regulus was instructed by an angel to take many of these relics to the far northwest. He was eventally told to stop on the Fife coast of Scotland, where he founded the settlement of Saint Andrew.

In the 7th century, Saint Wilfrid brought some of the saint's relics with him after a pilgrimage to Rome. The Scots king, Angus MacFergus, installed them at Saint Andrew's to enhance the prestige of the new diocese.

When the Pictish King Angus faced a large invading army, he prayed for guidance. A white cloud in the form of a saltire cross floated across the blue sky above him. Angus won a decisive victory, and decreed that Andrew would be the patron saint of his country. Following Robert Bruce's victory at the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314, the Declaration of Arbroath officially named Saint Andrew the patron saint of Scotland. The Saltire became the national flag of Scotland in 1385.

Not only is he patron saint of ra Jox, but also...
    Amalfi Italy; anglers; Berchtesgaden, Germany; Burgundy; diocese of Constantinople; diocese of Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA; fish dealers; fish mongers; fishermen; gout; Greece; Lampertheim, Germany; maidens; old maids; Patras Greece; Russia; Scotland; singers; sore throats; spinsters; University of Patras; unmarried women; women who wish to become mothers.

Hmmm
    Next time, it'll all be different.

I was of course more than aware of this when choosing the date. I thought about it for all of 50 mSecs and said "**** it"

Not a definate ... but a provisional 'yes' if there's enough interest.

I'll keep an eye on the thread..

Goodge

I'll aim to get there....
    Well it is Green King.... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Mark

Might turn up, do you plan to be there until kicking out time?

Don't plan on leaving at any particular time - but might not stay to end if there is nobody else there. If you think you will be arriving late, send me a text first and I will give you the state of play.

OK, have been given a pass-out so I'm definitely up for it.
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

Great stuff - at least we will have each other to talk to !