Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Default Drying Out with Legs - in the day!

My expereince of drying out with any boat of any type is zero.

I am shortly to have the new boat fitted with legs - the boat weighs 32 tons so she is no lightweight but she does have an extra deep keel. Trader are going to experiment with the boat in a sling before deciding where to fit the legs - these are being fitted after she arrives at Emsworth in a mere 11 days .... 11 long. long days .... anyway back to the subject.

I realise that in a perfect world legs do not carry much load - the keel carries the load, the legs balance the boat. Now that the subject is becoming real I would like to know what experience any of you have had with drying out and legs. Hints, tips or just plain comfort would be appreciated.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

Default Re: Drying Out with Legs - in the day!

Lets take her to illfracome and experiment! - i am up for it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Lets experiment then take her to Coombe [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat

Would be more exciting the other way around!

But, i would have thought 90-95% thru keel and 5-10% thru legs to keep them from moving, but then again, i dont tend to dry out!!!

The legs are designed to take the whole weight providing they stay uprightish .... this is one hell of a mistake to make, 32 tons keeling over on her side with all that nice blue hull ..... but I have to take those first steps - probably on a nice sandy sloping beach like Tenby with an insignificant offshore wind blowing.

Also can you use legs to dry out alongside a wall? The outside leg - yes but do you put the inside leg down or just rest on multiple fenders on the wall?
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat

hlb is offline Registered User

No experience. But think it might be fine for old fishermen types, drying out in same old harbour all there lives. Were it might be a problem, is unknown areas, where there may be a big gully to one side, or the sand is not just as hard as thought.

Seems a bit risky to me!!

i would not want all that weight thru the legs, contact patch on the ground is way to small, i think you would just sink to the sand (then fall over)

Same for a wall, if you come down on the leg - and it starts to sink... with walls you need to lean on them - personaly i would not cos of the messing around with ropes.

I would try for most of the weight thru the keel then only use the legs to stabillise <sp> like the broom in MBM, have the legs set 2 inches before ground so keel settles in then the legs to the remaining weight, but these things need to be tested...

Not in the same league as your new boat, but if you can get a copy, it would be worth having a look at Libby Purves' "One Summer's Grace" where she talks about drying out their boat (a 32 ft GRP gaffer) on legs. I think they used both legs, even when alongside, and took advice from harbourmasters about holes in the seabed etc.
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

you can practice at East Head perhaps? since you'll be nearby

I just ordered the book - seems a good read anyway. Thanks for the advice.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat