Default \"olewill\" - I give up - what does it mean

After keeping quiet for a number of months and descretely searching so as not to reveal my ignorance, I have not been able to uncover the meaning of the word. Will someone please relieve my anguish so that I may be appropriately embarrassed.
    Boys don't grow up.....their toys just get more expensive.

jerryat is offline Registered User

Default Re: \"olewill\" - I give up - what does it mean

Old Will(iam) I've always assumed!

At last... I have been reading too much into it... I thought it was an acronym that I had failled to understand.... Sorry for wasting everyone's time......
    Boys don't grow up.....their toys just get more expensive.

oldharry is offline Registered User

Ozzie type variation of oleharry?
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

William_H is offline Registered User

Hello this is indeed olewill. I am flattered that anyone even noticed. Yes indeed William is the name named after young Prince William. Even if I beat him by many decades. Actually I was going to be a Robert (Bob) up until the last moment when in the imortal words of my dad "a Bill's as good as a Bob any day.
    Yes it is diminutive Ozzie humour little "o" and 60 next year. Actually retired (redundant) some 4 years and sad ole git with nothing to do but try to appear wise on this forum. (with occasional frantic boating)
    Sailing has been good to me in that my 26yo son and soon my 24yo (when he returns from the bush) both love sailing and we enjoy competing together.
    However there is a down side as I find myself a bit dry mouthd these days on departure I seem to feel more vulnerable to disaster while they come to feel more invulnerable.
    We get fairly robust winds here at this time of the year (early summer) and I have seen a fair share of disasters ( a handfull of dismastings, regular running aground and a few collisions) actually if I described them all you would say what an idiot. But it is only a little boat and we do average around 30 races per year plus some pleasure sails but seldom in excess of 3 hours. I have got my moneys worth from an initial $7.5K (3k pounds to you) over 24 years.
    Now saltydave I have really bored you and it was only an inocent question about accronyms. Thanks to all for the pleasure you give, olewill Lost in limbo below tropic of Capricorn

Rowana is offline Two steps lower than the ships' cat

Hi Olewill. I lived and worked in your part of the world for 18 months back in 1996-97. I did a wee bit of sailing on a Saturday afternoon with some of the guys I worked with. Sailing in T-shirt & shorts was a bit different from all the clobber we have to wear here. The temperature is not too bad today - +2

We went on a couple of trips on a Sunday afternoon an a paddle steamer from South Perth and had a few "Refreshments" on the way. Is that still running? We lived in South Perth by the way - Mill Point Road to start with, then Rose Avenue. My eldest daughter was at school while we were there and we had one of her old school friends over here this summer for a few weeks, which was nice.

I might even get back over there one day.

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
    FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Hi Olewill - always read your postings carefully - one of the very few multi-posters on the forum that always talks sense - keep em coming!
    All the best - Mike