Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Why I dont visit Salcombe

Are you taking the p1$$

Excellent idea. Let the people speak!

It would be very interesting to hear Salcome HM's side of the argument. I don't suppose he is reading this, but if he is I don't expect he will dare to post a comment.

Talbot is offline Registered User

charge for use of a buoy yes acceptable. What legal right are they using for charging for anchoring? There is a legal argument "justifying" this for Beaulieu river, but charges for anchoring in what is basically the open sea is taking the pi$$
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
    Robert A Heinlein

Of course you are right, the pubs have a locals and visitors prices! Guess which is greater?

Just out of interest, IF I was at anchor and just told the HM to pi$$ off, any idea what they could do? Is it a criminal offence?

Ie are you likely to get someone turn up and try and arrest you?

I think I saw a thread about a HM in dinghy who refused to untie himself from a vessel - what happens when you either cut him loose or take him accross the channel, either in his dinghy or aboard? (I only ask cos the Froggy fishermen do this to the Fishery Officers now and again!).
    Waiting for Dan to put me out of your misery since 17 Feb (2010 ).

Others will probably know better but pretty sure they can't enforce the charge for those at anchor. One of the mags ran a series of articles on this subject a year or two ago.

duncan is offline Registered User

it wasn't my intention..........sorry.

reasons -

1. salcombe is on the south coast
    2. everyone here that isn't on the south coast keeps saying that they don't experience any (such) problems
    3. a very very large number of people on here boat from south coast marinas (this dosn't ignore others see 4)
    4. most people who boat further afield already know this stuff from personal experience - and contribute the extremes of good and evil on here from time to time
    5. many people start (new to cruising etc) from a south coast location
    6. there would be significant up to date experience enabling valid current data for this area.

?

I remember many years ago (about 30, I think,) standing in the public bar of Burner's Victoria Inn on Whitestrand listening to a mobo owner complaining about the very same thing. He was reminded by a local that the harbour was resurfaced twice a day and what more did he want?
    I fear that the 12% drop in visitors for this last season is not confined to Salcombe, but they have always been renowned for getting as much as they can. I know, I used to live there until I could afford it no longer. Look what happened to the Island Cruising Club
    Cornishmen do it drekly

Fair enough, we do not get cash collectors in dinghies chasing us around anchorages. But our West coast marinas have based in general their business practises on the wealthy southern models.

It would also, should you ever get something off the ground make interesting comparisons, where is the best place to sail, cheapest, friendliest etc.

Maybe open the odd eyes.

Thank you for your explanation. Our boat came from Salcombe in 1989. I am really sad to hear how things seem to have changed as it is such a beautiful area that I was looking forward to going back to.